1984 Nissan 720 2.4l carb

Buckner99

I may as well just get a mixture solenoid for that price, but idk which one to get because there are different ones.

Just tested it just now with alligator clips. No click. Could taking it out and cleaning it up maybe get it to work? Possibly stuck? Just curious. 

The idle cut solenoid clicks, so thats good. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops 😬 

Well, either way I had no resistance anyways. Like, it just stayed on I. Even sliced open the wire coat closer to the solenoid (figured what the hell, if it worked then I have a short towards the plug and would have to rewire anyways)

BTW, did mean worth a try as in trying to clean/fix it?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, A guy named Rick said:

Could taking it out and cleaning it up maybe get it to work? Possibly stuck? Just curious. 

32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Worth a try.

• Like 1

Following!

I added a wideband O2 sensor to make sure I was getting the right fueling, but running the factory setup with the ECC and "computer" it wouldn't run right.  I tried adjusting around this with different jets and that didn't help.  I ended up just feeding 12V to the metering solenoid (I had somewhere around 60-80ohms resistance if I remember right) with ignition to hold it constant and then played with jets like a normal carb until I liked the values.  I always intended to tear the carb back down and try to sort out the issue and get a bit better fuel economy, but I just haven't taken the time, so I'm interested to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

So I'm eyeballing 2 carbs for sale, and one guy got back to me. He tested the solenoid, and 12v makes it click, but he got 40ohms. Spec is 20-22 +/- 5 right? 

Going to take top of my carb off later. Got it off and sitting in the garage last night.

BTW, whats the correct o2 sensor to get? Seems the parts sites have more than one option, and I think there is heated and non heated.

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1

Copy that. Well I got the s.o.b. apart, that mc solenoid was stuck in so bad. Had to whack it repeatedly on opposite sides with a small crescent wrench and finally wiggled it free. Pulled the wire boot through and tested the ohms right there close to the solenoid, and still nothing. Open circuit.

The little metal plunger moves, a thin rod fell out the body, and I exposed the copper coil wire. One part looked kind of corroded. Did it separate? I think the head is still stuck in the top, idk if it is screwed in.

Any idea which solenoid I need? MCS-13? 

https://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?part=MCS-13-reb

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1

f8yZqVu.jpg

The primary and secondary jets are behind two plugs on the outside front of the carburetor, below the float chamber. The primary would be on the left and secondary on the right as viewed from the front. Primaries are around #100 and secondaries around #160