Draining coolant

MaddieCycle

Hello. I just drained my coolant and swapped in new upper and lower radiator hoses.  I've done a lot of jobs on this truck and this one truly SUCKED.

For future reference, does anyone have a good approach for draining the radiator other than opening the drain and just letting it drip everywhere on the frame members and sort of into the buckets I placed?  What a stupid design.  Also, I have a 4x4 and there is no way I can find or access the engine block drain plug with the differential being where it is. Getting the lower radiator hose off of the radiator with a rusted clamp was one of the more miserable steps in this job.  Ugh.

The good news is that this truck has been mine for 2 years, and according to CarFax it had a new water pump 4 years ago.  So, the antifreeze that I drained can't be more than 4 years old. It was nice and bright green with not a single oil swirl to be found.  So, I believe my head gasket is intact as I prepare to do a head-bolt retorque.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about your truck, but my 510 has a petcock, and I use a long funnel generally used for filling transmissions.  I place the top of the funnel over the petcock and open it. The bottom (or skinny) end is placed into a drain pan.  (I use an oil drain pan for this)

You can also speed up the flow the by cracking open the radiator cap.  Be aware it comes out MUCH faster when you do that..

Interesting timing on your post.  I'm draining my radiator tomorrow.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2

A blown head gasket doesn't get oil into the coolant but it can get water into the oil.

If replacing the hose, cut the clamp off with an angle grinder if you have to and slit the hose with a box cutter and peel it off. No sense prying on the spout and breaking the solder loose.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I don't know about your truck, but my 510 has a petcock, and I use a long funnel generally used for filling transmissions.  I place the top of the funnel over the petcock and open it. The bottom (or skinny) end is placed into a drain pan.  (I use an oil drain pan for this)

You can also speed up the flow the by cracking open the radiator cap.  Be aware it comes out MUCH faster when you do that..

Interesting timing on your post.  I'm draining my radiator tomorrow.

720 the drain is not a petcock, it is just a drain to the side and it is RIGHT above a frame member.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

A blown head gasket doesn't get oil into the coolant but it can get water into the oil.

If replacing the hose, cut the clamp off with an angle grinder if you have to and slit the hose with a box cutter and peel it off. No sense prying on the spout and breaking the solder loose.

Yeah good point about coolant in the oil. I did not have any of that either, and clean and green coolant is reassuring for a number of reasons.

I tried but could not fit an angle grinder in there so instead I grabbed the bolt with a needle nose vise grip and metal fatigued it back and forth until the clamp broke.  And yes, I did slit the hoses at the spouts.