z24i capabilities?

jmhg710

so I've been looking at buying this 86 d21 in my area it needs some work to fix some idle problems and a thorough clean. after all that id like to try and pull a little more power out of it N/A until im in a position to swap it / turbo it later down the line, I know the z24i is in no way intended to be a performance engine and I'm good with that i just wanna see what I can do to make the truck a little quicker or more fun to drive (doesn't have to be all about more HP) and id just like to see what people here recommend as this seems like the place where I've been able to find the most knowledge about these engines. if I could get even like a little over 200 id be more than happy with that don't really know what's realistic with these engines and honestly I'm fine if my civic is faster i just love these little trucks for some reason and need one in my life. would really appreciate any input you can give me thank you!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

200hp??? that's a little ambitious for a 100hp engine. The best you can do for now is to tune it up to stock specifications. The Z24 is a good reliable engine with adequate torque to pull a truck but is limited in performance by the head design that holds it back. Myself? I would find a Hardbody truck with a KA24E or KA24DE engine and transplant that in. They are around 140 hp and start from there. D21s also came with VG30i engines for even more torque.

I'm in the same boat.  My 86 D21 is the best truck ever.  Nice and small for going down trails with tough 4 wheel drive to boot.  It does lack power.  I think the easiest route would be a KA24DE out of a Frontier.  They make more HP and torque then the 80's VG30i and would be a bolt in.  Do intake and exhaust on that engine and I think the power increase would be night and day.  If you were really crazy you could up the compression on the DE to net a little more power.  Not sure I would go that far.  I've personally been reading up on the RB25DET NEO.  Wow those are super cheap for what they are and if you had a V6 D21 transmission you could bell swap it to bolt up to the RB then of coarse you would have to build a custom oil pan, custom motor mounts, some sort of intercooler or "J" pipe, mod the core support to make room for the radiator.  Not the end of the world but way more work then the DE.  Here is my truck doing work 

Q3ypg0O.jpg

• Like 1

One thing that my years building racing engines has taught me, if you want more HP, it's usually better to find an engine that already has that hp and swap it in. I am speaking in terms of street cars and trucks. Building any Datsun street engine to double the HP is never cheap and almost always results in a high maintenance, high strung experience. Yes, they can run great on the street, but it takes a lot of time and money to get there.

A simple KA24E would be my choice for that truck. Bolt in and lots of aftermarket support. You could probably do the whole swap for $3500 or less. Buy a complete donor truck for the parts. I've seen them for sale for as little as $500, running.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One thing that my years building racing engines has taught me, if you want more HP, it's usually better to find an engine that already has that hp and swap it in. I am speaking in terms of street cars and trucks. Building any Datsun street engine to double the HP is never cheap and almost always results in a high maintenance, high strung experience. Yes, they can run great on the street, but it takes a lot of time and money to get there.

A simple KA24E would be my choice for that truck. Bolt in and lots of aftermarket support. You could probably do the whole swap for $3500 or less. Buy a complete donor truck for the parts. I've seen them for sale for as little as $500, running.

I agree but since either a KA24E or KA24DE both require a re wire I would shoot for the dual cam just for a little more power.  

• Like 1

I've always liked the simplicity of the 12 valve single cam engine, but yes, the DE does have a bit more power. The 12 valve has a lot of similarities to the Z24 or even to an L series, like the distributor and the oil pump, etc, so I think it looks more at home under the hood. I would use a truck engine though, as I don't like that added bellhousing material. Install a car intake on the truck engine for a more modern look and better performance.