Checking the quality of a used steering box

matrophy

i have replaced all of my steering and suspension front-end components to try and nail down the excessive steering play in my 86 720. No real change and it's pretty scary.

I checked the fluid level and farted around a little but with the adjustment screw/set screw and didn't notice any improvement.

A local wrecking yard has a 720 that supposedly has a steering box but I'm guessing that I may not be able to turn the steering wheel to check it out and I imagine that there will be worn steering components in this vehicle anyway. I will remove it from the vehicle at the yard and I hope to be able to somehow check the play in the box before I leave the yard. 

What is the best way to check the "tightness" of a used steering box that is out of the car? Can I twist both ends by hand or with vice grips?

How does play at the steering box translate into play in the steering wheel and overall tightness? What should I be looking for in terms of play in the steering box itself to determine if this would be an improvement?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much is excessive???

Did you replace the idler arm???

Did you check or set the wheel bearing pre load???

Are your tires filled to the correct pressure?

What about your suspension ball joints? If they are worn some of the steering effort is lost moving them.

You should be able to remove all the gear lash in the box by adjusting it. It will become harder to turn and probably have tight spots. If you still have play then it isn't the box.

You should be able to grip the input spline from the column and turn back and forth with your fingers.  You'll feel the movement in the pitman arm.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

How much is excessive???

Did you replace the idler arm???

Did you check or set the wheel bearing pre load???

Are your tires filled to the correct pressure?

What about your suspension ball joints? If they are worn some of the steering effort is lost moving them.

You should be able to remove all the gear lash in the box by adjusting it. It will become harder to turn and probably have tight spots. If you still have play then it isn't the box.

You should be able to grip the input spline from the column and turn back and forth with your fingers.  You'll feel the movement in the pitman arm.

I'd say I have 3 inches total at the wheel - 1-1/2" on each side

Replaced idler arm

Pre load wheel bearings (per your previous instructions) are correct

Tire pressure is correct

Replaced ball joints, center link and tie rod ends

Can you tell me how to do the gear lash adjustment? I did it kind of half-heartedly not really knowing what I was doing.

Should I check it with the wheels off the ground before doing any driving?

How much play in the box itself is acceptable?

• Like 1

There is a bolt with a lock nut on the top of the box. Loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt. Counter clockwise to tighten and the other way to loosen (I think) Have both wheels off the ground and spin the steering wheel from lock to lock with your finger. If you find any binding or tightness, loosen till it goes away.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There is a bolt with a lock nut on the top of the box. Loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt. Counter clockwise to tighten and the other way to loosen (I think) Have both wheels off the ground and spin the steering wheel from lock to lock with your finger. If you find any binding or tightness, loosen till it goes away.

I'll do it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Maybe you need a screwdriver. Turning counter clockwise lifts the sector shaft and closes the gear lash.

CCW is not intuitive and probably why what I did last time didn't have any effect.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Is this a power steering box? If so, there are far more things that can be bad in a power steering box. If it's a manual box, just check to see that it moves smoothly. If it does not, it could be damaged or it could simply need an adjustment.

It's a manual box. Sounds like, not knowing different, when I tried to adjust the gear lash last time, I turned the adjusting screw clockwise. I'll try and adjust it the right way before I look for a replacement stering box.

Edited by matrophy
  • Like 2

Follow up: I was able to adjust the steering box so the play is reduced significantly. Clockwise on the adjusting screw had more of an effect than CCW did. I was also able to adjust by sound because you could hear the gear lash as the steering wheel was moved slightly back and forth. Adjustment screw turned in until the lash sound was gone turned out to be the best adjustment. Since my steering has all been replaced there was no other slop in the other components.

• Like 2