'73 620 L20B, what will you be?

Tony620

Well, I done did it...  yeah, I bought somebody else's broken dream...  "as-is"... 

What will it be?  What will it become?  What will I become?!

Right now it's a '73 620 4 speed Manual with an L20B U67 Head.

Future Posts:  Melted Wiring Harness?!  Gasoline in the Oil?!  Squirrel Nest Heater Core?!  Double Relay Pusher Fan/Radiator Leak?!

Will post images just as soon as I master just how to post images...

• Like 2
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Choke on all the time will pollute the oil and make it smell. Choke should shut off by opening fully by the time the engine is warmed up. Just take a look with the top of the air filter off.

Flooding? Look at the front of the carb, there's a round window on most L20B carburetors and you should be able to see the fuel level more or less in the middle.

If it's actually raising the oil level and thinning the oil stop running it now. That's an actual leak at the fuel pump

Thanks for the gassy oil tips!  When it was still running (before the melted engine harness) the Weber Electric Choke definitely was slow to release, one cylinder wasn't firing regularly (was a loose wire...), and Fuel Pressure Regulator was at 3psi, and there's no Fuel return line...  PO told me he replaced the gas tank but I don't know whether it has the return port.  PCV is connected (working?).

First things first, though, I must get it running again!  I was idling it in the driveway doing some "checks" when I smelled that smell...  ooooh that smell...  so I quickly turned it off and discovered melty electrics from the "100A Alternator Upgrade!"  to the battery to the fuse box...  That'll be my first big SOS post.

I know there's a How-to for posting photos on this forum but I'm having trouble finding it.  Anybody have a link?

Sounds good.  I put start a separate post about my Electrical Woes.  This post I'll leave for musings/advice on which directions to take the project, overall.  My fuzzy vision so far is to model it after a Working Pickup.  Something someone might use a lil bit to haul a lil bit.  I hope that doesn't get me ostracized; it seems slammin' is the only game in town these days...   As for colors, I like White, or Grey/Primer, even like the oxidized patina look but not if I have to fake it, which I would.  Right now it's rattle-can dark green over factory white.  Frame and body are in good shape.  Only bad rust is in the floor pans, with the drivers side having had some patch work.  No crazy cutting been done anywhere, that I can tell.  It would actually be a good slate for a legit Restoration project but a museum piece isn't really what I'm after.   Anybody have ideas about a Work Truck makeover?  Lumber Rack / Roll Bar?  Bed Protection?

• 3 weeks later...