What is this thing?

gvk

I was tracing to find some connection issue and stumbled upon this thing. Before I open it up and potentially damage it trying to identify what it is, someone here probably knows.
It's located near the seatbelt (driver/right side). Malaysian KB310 140y.

D85bpr5.jpgi6oI539.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Does the room lamp stay on after the door is closed and then after 30 seconds turns itself off?

Voltage halves when the door is closed. I don't have the lamp so i just used a multimeter on the connectors.

1 hour ago, wayno said:

That box has something to do with the seat belt warning and something to do with the brake warning.

The wires involved are black-white/blue- green/yellow/green.

green-blue, green-white, white-blue

white-black, green-yellow, green, black

Also, might as well say, that I'm tracing for the tail & reverse wires. The bulbs are fine. Signal & brake work. Am I on the right path or I probably passed it already?

edit: fuses seem fine too.

• Like 1

Ok I opened it up and no surprise, I still have no clue (a board with tons of resistors and other stuff).

The line from tail lamp to the box is good but idk where the line continues so I guess I'll trace from the other end.

Reverse lamp wire doesn't go in there so that's a separate story.

• Like 1

Given your description it is related to seat belt (seat belt dummy light equipped?) with possible occupant sensor if connects to seat. An interior light fade-out is also possible but that wouldn't interface with tail lights either.

Re-thinking this, if it had anything to do with seat belt (buzzer/dummy light) it should be located under the dash not in or behind the door. Are the rear signals separate (amber) or same bulb with the brake light? This could be a circuit separator as some markets require the signals to be separate while others don't.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2020 at 3:30 AM, datzenmike said:

Any chance the tail lights are sequential???

Surely no.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:47 AM, EDM620 said:

What's this on?

'80 Datsun KB310 140Y (Malaysian market)

aka Sunny aka 210

On 7/14/2020 at 3:58 AM, EDM620 said:

Given your description it is related to seat belt (seat belt dummy light equipped?) with possible occupant sensor if connects to seat. An interior light fade-out is also possible but that wouldn't interface with tail lights either.

Re-thinking this, if it had anything to do with seat belt (buzzer/dummy light) it should be located under the dash not in or behind the door. Are the rear signals separate (amber) or same bulb with the brake light? This could be a circuit separator as some markets require the signals to be separate while others don't.

There are no wires connected to the seatbelts.

The signal bulbs are separate and also separate wires.

• Like 1

Back to basic troubleshooting steps. With a test light, figure out which wire gets power & when (key on/off, lights on/off, signals on/off... you get the idea), something has to be getting power at some point.

I'm not familiar with the model so if you have access to a factory manual (a Haynes manual might help) that'll be your best start to decode.

Where exactly is it located? Behind the door (B pillar) or in the driver footwell kickpanel? Location will also help sort out what it might be related to and definitely what it's not related to.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

Back to basic troubleshooting steps. With a test light, figure out which wire gets power & when (key on/off, lights on/off, signals on/off... you get the idea), something has to be getting power at some point.

I'm not familiar with the model so if you have access to a factory manual (a Haynes manual might help) that'll be your best start to decode.

Where exactly is it located? Behind the door (B pillar) or in the driver footwell kickpanel? Location will also help sort out what it might be related to and definitely what it's not related to.

Yeah I'll get to it.

There was an '81 210 Nissan service manual shared on the forum. That's what I'm referencing but I don't see that box. 

It's behind the door.

• Like 1

General thinking here. Behind the door would in general relate to continuing to the rear of the vehicle (tail lights, brake lights?) possibly fuel sender for gas gauge but too many wires for that, unless the car uses an electric fuel pump as well?? Is the car fuel injected? Sorry but running out of ideas here.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EDM620 said:

General thinking here. Behind the door would in general relate to continuing to the rear of the vehicle (tail lights, brake lights?) possibly fuel sender for gas gauge but too many wires for that, unless the car uses an electric fuel pump as well?? Is the car fuel injected? Sorry but running out of ideas here.

Nope, carbureted. Tail lights was the reason I stumbled upon it so that's partly right.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You could just unplug it and see what changes there are.... if any.

Will do.

Whatever it is, it should be working fine. The connection issue was at the switch socket/connector on the steering. So presumably the entire standing light circuit was affected.

Still finding new things that are broken on this car

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...