How much of trans mount to unbolt to pull engine and trans

matrophy

Not sure how much of the trans mount needs to be unbolted to remove engine and trans. There are 2 bolts underneath that bolt to the cross member which I removed. It looks like the whole trans mount stays attached the the trans if that's all that I unbolt and I'm wondering if that gives enough vertical clearance or more needs to be removed..  There are also 2 nuts above that as shown in the photo and a bracket that connects to the exhaust and a cross member. 

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With my 80 I just pulled the other day, that was all that needed to be pulled off of the transmission, except the driveline/exhaust stuff..  There was plenty of room in the front, I just had to position myself under the transmission so the shifter wasn't hitting.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.92e50cd78be37885cd8b2c

Top center bolt holds an arm that supports the exhaust pipe. Might as well take it off so out of way and won't catch on anything.

The bolt sticking through the weld nut on the front of the cross member holds (I think) a small shock or damper. the other end is bolted to the transmission.

There are two bolts on either side of the cross member to remove and the cross member can be removed. You'll need to support the transmission

• Like 1

Are you recommending supporting the transmission once the cross member is out or in order to remove the cross member? I wondered about removing the cross member a couple of days in advance of pulling the engine/trans. I was thinking about putting a bottle jack under there but I assume it can be removed before starting to pull the engine/trans?

That small bolt in the cross member supports a bracket for the e-brake cable. Haynes manual says to disconnect the e-brake cable but I don't see why. It isn't in the way or connected to the trans except for at the cross member there.

Edited by matrophy
  • Like 1