Speedometer cable

jamesh

So turns out the tach wasn’t the last thing wrong with the truck. When I pulled the speedo cable out from the instrument cluster I noticed oil leaking around the area, I have actually noticed some oil in that area since I acquired the truck. Also some oil on top of the transfer case under the truck.

Anyway I looked at this post 

Wondering if anyone has since tracked down a reliable source or part no. for a new cable, or for the seals individually.

as always, any other advice would be appreciated.

thanks

james

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dE70HSq.jpg

A new cable will have the 'rubber' washer/cap. Short of that undo the transmission end and pull the cable inside, out. Have a large towel to catch it on and keep cleen. Cut a new one from a thin sheet of neoprene with a small hole in the center and thread it on from the dash end.

Jo98aZl.jpg

If it's in good shape the pinion has a seal inside. (small one above) You'll have to knock the roll pin out with a small nail to get at it. The seal (if available) is 32709-14600 at Nissan

• Like 1

Lynchburg Nissan in Virginia has a vintage parts department and I just bought a speedo seal kit (2 o-rings) from them. I don't know if this is a vintage item or if they just have them in their regular stock but they have them. You can email them at vintage@lynchburgnissan.com.

I bought a speedo cable from RockAuto just now also. If you have the push-on end that goes into the back of the speedo you have to make sure by looking at the pictures on their site that the one they are selling has the push-on ends. I think the one they list for an 84 720 is the one I found so just look at different years until you find the one with the push-on ends. It is 70" long where the one in my truck was only 55" long so I had to do some creative rerouting to keep it away from the exhaust and not kinking. My truck is a standard cab and I understand that the King Cabs use the longer speedo cable. Not sure if that is true

Edited by matrophy
  • Like 1