Duke

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I'm in the middle of a timing chain fiasco on the L20B in my wagon...

If you have a gasket then you should replace it with a gasket. That's quite the gap to fill.

I've never been able to seal a L-series pan gasket reliably since they stopped making thick paper gaskets. The cork/rubber just always seems to leak.

Next time I pull a pan I'm going to try just RTV and see how that does. Can't be worse.

Edited by datsuntech
Punctuation and Capitalization
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, datsuntech said:

Next time I pull a pan I'm going to try just RTV and see how that does. Can't be worse.

I just pulled the front 4 bolts out to pull the front cover off.  I'm just going to cut the front section off another gasket and glue it down.  The pisser is the pan didn't leak previously..

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Duncan said:

Just curious here, but do you guys use this stuff in place of a gasket, or do you use this as a gasket sealer? 

I use it in place of the gasket. Many new engines come with only RTV sealing the oil pan, timing covers, etc. The "right stuff" is great for sealing steel pans to engine blocks.

59 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I use it in place of the gasket. Many new engines come with only RTV sealing the oil pan, timing covers, etc. The "right stuff" is great for sealing steel pans to engine blocks.

True, but newer engines have a groove that the RTV seals in. They are designed for this. Not sure how a perfectly flat surface or one not designed for it will seal properly.