charging issues

moparvwfreak

this is on my Pathfinder. battery shows 12.5v off. at idle with no accessories on its 14v. with the lights and heater fan on it will flux between 12-14v. i crank the engine speed up it brings it back to 14v but as soon as i let off it drops back down to 12. lights are REALLY dim, heater fan keeps changing speed, radio volume fluxes. sounds like a bad alt to me. what do you guys think??? oh and the belts were changed last Friday 11-21-08.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voltage numbers sound normal. I would pull the alt and have it tested. A minor PITA, but it'll tell you whether it's the alt or whether you need to start searching elsewhere.

i will have the wife take the Mercury to work tomorrow then. i'll pull it and have it tested and go from there. what a PITA!

2eDeYe;100261'']I like a minimum of 13V.

yeah me too. which is why this is so frustrating.

i crank the engine speed up it brings it back to 14v but as soon as i let off it drops back down to 12.

is the idle set properly?

old battery?

doesnt seem unusual though, w/a load on it the alt seems to be functioning.

same reason why you cant recharge a flat battery at idle, but drive a few miles and it will.

dunno. maybe. i think i am gonna hit pull-a-part adn jsut snag a spare alt when i get the chance and have it rebuilt. i drove the path to moms yesterday and even at idle it would flux badly. almost to the point of no dashlights. at idle OR under load. it didn't matter. i am REALLY thinking the alt is not doing so hot.