New Ratsun Her- speedometer & gas gauge.

wolfxdog

Hey yall just dove in head first and bought a 1977 620 and im starting to test the waters with fixing some of the issues i sorted out first after bringing it home cleaning up the inside and ripping out the old gross carpet . threw in a new battery an took a ride around the neighborhood and realized both the speedometer and gas gauge are not working, being super green here im going to ask some real dumb queations.

Could it just be a fuse for both of them or will i have to fix the whole cluster?

excited to join the club. feeling green but happy.

cheers from oregon

s.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love younger people, I forget they are used to electric speed sensors that run digital displays. The 620 is much simpler than today's vehicles. The transmission turns a flexible cable that connects to the speedometer in the dash and turns it mechanically. Mechanical things like the cable are prone to highway damage. Rain can get inside the outer sheath and if it freezes in Portland, and the cable can't turn, the transmission will twist it off. Get a replacement cable. Maybe the gauge is just stuck. Maybe someone had the cable out and changed it and the end is not engaged with the speedometer gauge in the dash.

The temp gauge and the gas tank are on the same fuse so if the temp gauge is working it isn't the fuse.

If you climb under and find the yellow wire going to the gas tank and ground it the gauge should rear FULL. If it does, the tank black ground wire may have fallen off. If there is no change, look under the passenger seat there is a 10 pin connector joining the in cab harness to the frame harness. Unplug and ground the yellow wire. If the gauge reads FULL then the connector is not making a good connection or the yellow wire to the tank is broken. If no change the dash gauge cluster has to come out and be looked at.

• Thanks 1

Indeed the most beautiful truck Nissan ever made. 521s were rugged and utilitarian looking and bare of any comforts like a WW2 jeep, 'beautiful' in their own way. The 720 were full of creature comforts, AC, PB, PS, electric windows, sun roof, intermittent wipers, big heater, 4x4, factory mags...........

• Like 1