720 4x4 5sp transmission factory manual

frankendat

Good day,

I seek the factory service manual that provides detailed instructions on disassembly/reassembly of the "shorty" 5-speed found in 4x4 720's. The search function on ratsun and search through Google have uncovered many manuals, the free ones I have downloaded, but none that I have found, specifically provide detailed transmission information.

• Like 2
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day,

Checking to see if anyone will upload, or can show me the way, to acquire the factory manual that provides step by step instructions for disassembly/reassembly of the 720 "shorty" 5sp. I have located/downloaded service manuals on ratsun and the nicco site, but have not found the desired information.

Thanks in advance

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, frankendat said:

My computer froze up while posting this question and I ended up  posting it twice. The same post is in the 720 forum. Please feel free to delete this thread. Thank you

13 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Look for a FSM (factory service manual) for your year transmission. The 71B are all close to the same, a shorty just has a shorter mainshaft and rear case.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=71-Series_Transmission

This link is for a full 1982 720 factory service manual, if you have a different year let me know and I will look if I have that.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Datsun 720 Factory Service Manual.pdf

Here is the 1980 720 FSM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02OHcVM-KXXQ1Bpb0JudVFPQUU/view

Also this Transmission manual book, which is for the 71B 4spds, Datzenmike would know what the differences are on that and the 5spds.:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02OHcVM-KXXaHBiRVUxcTE0M3M/view

Edit: And, I actually happen to own the 1980 4wd FSM, I will look through and get picks for the transmission momentarily.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

Good day,

I seek the factory service manual that provides detailed instructions on disassembly/reassembly of the "shorty" 5-speed found in 4x4 720's. The search function on ratsun and search through Google have uncovered many manuals, the free ones I have downloaded, but none that I have found, specifically provide detailed transmission information.

Go check out the other thread you started. I just scanned and posted that section of the 1980 720 4x4 factory service manual for transmission. I will link here to.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iXq4MpCzwtcTxCuspasMPWtWe3nLMgdA

• Like 1

Dguy 210 THANK YOU

When I started reading your first post, I thought I had already downloaded and read that stuff (the datsun1200 site and the 82 manual are no-go)  BUT then I came to the Google Drive links for the 80 FSM and Transmission manual---AWESOME, the kind of candy I was looking for, Thanks again  (hopefully with this info, the Dime articles and a sprinkle of Youtube videos I will figure this transmission)

The transmission I want to rebuild is a "shorty"  5sp from a 1985 4x4 720.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Dguy 210 THANK YOU

When I started reading your first post, I thought I had already downloaded and read that stuff (the datsun1200 site and the 82 manual are no-go)  BUT then I came to the Google Drive links for the 80 FSM and Transmission manual---AWESOME, the kind of candy I was looking for, Thanks again  (hopefully with this info, the Dime articles and a sprinkle of Youtube videos I will figure this transmission)

Good luck with it!

I'm actually running that same transmission just 2wd version (only difference being the speedo cable) behind my KA24 swap 1200. 

Strangely enough I actually have every pickup FSM from 75-83, but no 82 which is the scanned one online. 

• Like 2
On 4/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, frankendat said:

Dguy 210 THANK YOU

I can use the same thing, Thanks so much :)

• Like 2

awilson40, awesome roadster!  Not sure if you found the info. The "google drive" links, posted by Dguy 210 on April 14, have all requested information. Also, I seek to install a datsun engine in a non datsun application and am concerned about size. I would think an Indy Roadster would have specific size limitations. Do you know the smallest size engine bay, length, width, height that will accommodate a Z-block or an L-block datsun engine?

• Like 1