PS Gearbox Gasket Rebuild

McFerg

Hi Y'all. I just bought a 1986 nissan 720 2-wheel drive. No Power Steering in it and the gear box is bone dry because the seal is gone. I tried to order a new seal for it from the local auto part store and they ordered something but it is much TOO SMALL.  Their software says that is the only one available.  I saw that AutoZone has a seal kit for sale but i worry that it is the wrong size.  Possibly the Non-Power steering Gear shaft is a different size that the, seemingly more common, power steering gear box.

Does Anyone have a link to where I can order a full seal kit for the Non-power steering gearbox? I went through all the topics in this thread but didn't see anything. Lots of good stuff there though.  Gives me great Ideas for the future.  Thank you for any help.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to assume you mean the sector shaft seal just above the pitman arm? 49321-Y0100 They are only $5 or so. Have you tried the Nissan dealer? Use that number at NAPA to cross reference to another maker/supplier. This is the seal at the very bottom and if leaking will drain the box.

You say gasket rather than seal in the title. Do you mean the gasket under the top cover? 48204-01W00

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm new to this. haha.  I should have wrote "seal" for the Title. Yes it is for the Sector shaft seal just above the pitman arm. Thanks for the info I will check with the dealer for it.  

I have taken apart the gear box and didn't see any sort of gasket for the top cover. Does it normally have one? I should buy that part number as well then! Thank you!

• Like 1

Charlie 69 I had my local auto parts store cross reference the part number that datzen mike gave me (49321-Y0100) from Napa and they found it pretty quick.  my receipt doesn't have a part number on it though.  

I am going to have to take it apart again though because I must have connected t the gears in the box in at the wrong place.  My turning radius is great turning right but terrible turning to the left. So I'll be back at it soon enough.

• Like 1

Yes, I have done that too on my 620. The steering wheel needs to be centered, maybe count the turns lock to lock and turn half the number in.... THEN slide the sector shaft into the box.

If you force it to turn you will blow out the press in plug at the front. They are like the core plugs in a block. All the oil will pour out. (don't ask how I know)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

Made a video of our gearbox sector shaft seal.  Shot it after we had already installed the seal so we didn't actually shoot the seal going in.  good times with my son though. Thanks so much for the help. Now I need to find a replacement for my carburetor and steal some part off of it. We Rebuilt it this week to try to get smog to pass and ended up with a broken connection for what I believe is called the Choke connecting rod.  The choke isn't letting enough air in or something.  It now blows black smoke out of the muffler.  

ay yi  yi! I'm trying to punch way above my weight on this entire project. It's driving me batty.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...