Dat521sun

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

If you have an old burnt regulator just cut the regulator off an use the plug to make the jumper

Yes, I do have. I tend to keep my old parts, don't know why. That's a great idea. I'll check and keep you posted. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dat521sun said:

Autozone. My old carb was weird, it was manual choke, but without the cord. The PO owner vent the throttle cable so truck always idle high, I had to pull the accelerator pedal with my toes. I replaced the carb, and it was electric, a few months after that, first alternator died. 2 weeks ago, I replaced the carb with a manual choke 

Well autozone has something wrong where you are or they didnt listen to what vehicle you told them.... I just pulled that listing up from autozone.... 

Any how... you may still have that choke relay in there which will cause a power drain.... if you dont need it just unplug it...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

'72 was the first electric choke I believe.

dCPpO9q.jpg

Internally regulated have an L and S marked terminal plug. External are marked F and N. I would say that the one in the picture is an internally regulated alternator. The 521 should have a removable black plastic cover on the back

• Like 2

Ignition light must be working. It goes to ground through a diode and lights when ignition in the on position. Once running and charging there is 12 v on both ends and the light goes out. There's a good chance the alternator was bad to begin with. That's the junk they sell today.

• Like 1

That's a bit low for a resting battery...

Even a dead battery that can be charged would rest at 12.5.....

Do you have power on the other wire, white/black?

Test with ignition on... if you have power there, ground the wire and see if the light comes on.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That's a bit low for a resting battery...

Even a dead battery that can be charged would rest at 12.5.....

Do you have power on the other wire, white/black?

Test with ignition on... if you have power there, ground the wire and see if the light comes on.... 

With t plug disconnected I have no power at the white/black stripe

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Check the connector then.... or even try checking for power where you plugged in the jumper.... might be a bad connection there....

I have power in connections. Light is brighter at white/black stripe

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well when plugged in the alternator is outputting 12v. Thought the white/black to turn off the light.... if unplugged and no power you have a burnt fuse or bulb.  ...

I meant the testing light is brighter. I'm getting over 16 volts at white/black stripe 

• Like 1