windshield wiper wiring help.....

Llittle_Llama

I removed the wiper switches and headlight switches when i redid the headlights. at that time there were no issues with the windshield wipers and they worked fine. i clipped the wires and tucked them out of the way. so i though today i would reconnect them and get that working and tape up that harness and have another check mark on the build. well i grounded it out on one of the bolts that mounts it to the cab and then started putting power to the wires......well? nothing. well i still have the switch, but i dont know where it is and it might take a week or two to find, plus i will make one hell of a mess doing so. so am i doing something wrong? is there another way to do it i dont know about?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should study the WIRING DIAGRAM.

If i recall correctly, one wire is the power for the whole thing and the switch acts as a ground for the high-low-park circuits of the motor. I think(without looking at the diagram for you)that it was a blue/red wire.

Why dont you study the diagram and post back where the wires are going.

well i did look....for awhile. its pretty basic and i think the motor might have locked up, but im not sure. thats why i ask here instead of wasting hours taking shit apart and trying to fix what isnt broken. i still have a day or so before thats all thats left so i ask on here to save me the time. leard from others mistakes. no reason not to ask. you keep saying "read the diagram" and i tell you i do, i just dont understand what the hell im looking at.

Do I smell sarcasim? Damn man give the guy a break, he's just trying to learn as he goes. Hell, wait till I get to the point of putting my 620 back together, your gonna get sick of my stupid questions.

im actually done except for this, lol. this should be my last question for awhile, it will be all progress pics after this :D

dwnshfter, I didn't mean your questions were stupid. I looked over my post and didn't sound right. I'll be wearing this site out when I start putting mine back together. I look at it like this, if someone doesn't like your post or question, then they don't have to reply to it. If someone is to much of an ahole and think their to smart to reply and help (and I'm not pointing that at yello620) , then I'll find someone else to help me out.

no, there was no offense taken :D i was just saying this is all thats holding me back right now. i have some questions about relays, but imma google the SHIT out of it instead of asking on here cause i think i have asked once or twice before and i didnt ever fully understand so.....

I hope this helps. Sometimes in a car, things are wired a little differently than you would expect. A normal way to wire something, a light, a motor, whatever, is to attach one side of it to a ground and switch the power lead to the device to the battery. Your headlights work like this, unless you have a PL510 sedan. Another way to control something is to always have the power lead wired to the device, and put a switch in the ground circuit. Your oil pressure light works like this. You turn the key on, power is applied to one side of the oil pressure light bulb, and the oil pressure switch on the engine grounds the oil pressure light, until there is oil pressure, and then the switch opens and the oil pressure light goes off. This system of switching the grounds on and off is also used on the cabin light. The switch on the cabin light grounds the always hot bulb, and the light comes on. You open a door, and the door switch grounds the cabin light, and it comes on.

Here is the wiper part:

Your wipers probably work similar to this. Power is always applied to the wiper motor, and the wiper switch grounds the wiper motor when you turn it on, and the motor runs. In side the wiper motor is another ground switch, that opens when the wipers are in the parked position. This is so the wipers will park when you turn them off, and not just stop anywhere.

If you turn on the wiper switch, it grounds the motor, and if you turn it off again right away, the motor stays grounded until the wiper motor makes one full cycle, and then it switches off its internal ground, and stops. The wiper switch also has a way of moving power to two different connections inside the motor to give you two different speeds.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I just know you'll be needing some of this:http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Replacementwireharnesssmoke.jpg[/img]"]Replacementwireharnesssmoke.jpg

Are you keeping the original wiper control switch?????

If so:

WIPER SWITCH

Black goes to ground

Blue/Black stripe is the twist for washer power to the washer reservoir motor. The other wire on the washer Blue/Red goes to ground.

Yellow goes to Yellow on wiper motor.

Blue goes to wiper motor.

Blue/White stripe goes to wiper motor.

WIPER MOTOR

Black goes to ground.

Blue see wiper switch (above)

Yellow see wiper switch (above)

Blue/White stripe see wiper switch (above)

Blue/Red stripe +12 from a switched ignition source.

(i haf to lay down)

Edited by datzenmike

trying to not use the original switch if at all possible. it will not be a DD so i just need it to work to pass inspection. there is no washer bottle or motor either, all that has been removed. i am leaving in a few minutes to go work on it for a few hours. i will be redoing the headlights and adding relays to the circuit adn i might start the tail light harness tonight.

This is wiring for a 521, yours may be similar.

Wiper motor:

Blue/red wire, has power with the ignition on.

Yellow wire, to wiper switch.

Blue wire, to wiper switch.

Black wire, to wiper switch, and ground.

Blue/ white wire, to wiper switch.

Wiper switch:

Yellow wire, to wiper motor.

Blue wire, to wiper motor.

Black wire, to wiper motor, and ground.

Blue/ white wire, to wiper switch.

Black/blue wire, to washer motor.

I am working off the wiring for a 521 here. The stock wiper switch does three things. If you twist it, the wiper switch connects the black/blue wire to the black wire, grounding the washer motor, and it runs. No washer, no worry about that.

It connects the yellow to the blue wire when it is off.

The other three wires are not connected to anything.

When you pull the wiper switch out to the first position, slow speed, the yellow wire is disconnected from the blue wire, and the blue wire is connected to the black wire. The other three wires are not connected to anything.

When the wiper switch is pulled out to the second position, the blue/white wire is connected to the black wire. The other three wires are not connected to anything.

I can pull the wiper switch out, and immediately push it back in. This tells me that grounding the blue wire grounds the wiper motor, and starts it turning, and even if the wiper switch is turned off again, the wiper motor will complete the cycle it is on, parking the wiper.

Try grounding the blue wire, and see if that will make the wiper motor run. If that is the case, you could just use a SPST switch to run the wipers.

SPST= Single Pole, Single Throw. Simple two terminal on, off switch.

awesome! i will try that tomorrow. heres the other thing, and im not 100% on this but it might be a big deal for others in the future.... i took the wiper motor off of my 91 240sx cause after the RB swap it was to be a drift car only. it has been in my moms garage t ill tonight when i went over and cleaned all my shit out of the garage. i was gunna toss the last of the 240 stuff as i traded the car of for my ranger then i stopped.... the wiper motor LOOKS to mount the same as the datsun motor does, also the plug is the same! so if for some reason the motor IS fried i will be doing a 240 motor swap and i will try and get a stock 240 switch and then i will have INTERMITTENT WIPERS !!!! :eek::eek::D:D

ok, i got it to work, only it does not go back to it's resting position after it is done..... the blue and red wire gets constant power, the other 2 blue ones go to a switch and when are used they ground out for low and high, and black of course grounds, but i cannot figure out what to do with the yellow one?!? someone else said it goes to the switch, is that the only way to get it to "park" itself?

I was thinking that could be a possibility with trying not to use the stock Datsun switch.

On my 521, the blue and yellow wire are connected when the wiper switch is off. Apparently this allows power to get to the wiper motor, so it can park.

Are you sure you cannot find the old Datsun wiper switch?

Another option you can try, at your own risk is this:

Get a SPDT switch. (Single pole, double throw.)

this switch will have three terminals on it. The center terminal connects to either of the two outside terminals. On my 521, the blue wire would go to the center terminal, the black wire would go to one outside terminal, and the yellow wire would go to the other outside terminal.

Some SPDT switches have a middle off position, you want the type of SPDT switch that does not.

This kind of experimenting is a little risky, and far as the wiper motor goes. It could be possible to apply power to the wiper motor in a wrong way, and short something out. I would put a 3 or maybe 5 amp fuse in the power wire to help protect things.

Please, try to find the stock Datsun switch. The wiper moter is wired to be happiest with it.

• 3 weeks later...
i still have no place to run the yellow wire. it works fine, but i would like it to go back to its "home" position after use, how do i wire this option up? thanks in advance :)

This is what I did. My wiper switch was shot so I used a SPDT ( I Think) toggle switch for high and low with off in the middle. I had a push button switch already mounted on the dash by the previous owner so I ran the yellow and a jumper from the blue. When I turn off the wipers I push the button and it parks the wipers. Just dont push the button with the wipers on or it blows the fuse. Kind of hokey I guess but it works.

How it works on mine is the blue and yellow make contact only when the wiper motor is off and this is what parks the wipers. I believe I read you have the blue hooked up to 12 volt power, mine is not. I figured all this out while I was experimenting with it. With the motor off, I touched the blue and yellow together and the wiper parked. I made the mistake of touching the blue to the yellow while the wiper motor was running and it not only blew the fuse but fried the 12 volt power wire that ran from the fuse block to the motor.

Anyway if you still cant figure it out maybe I can draw it for you.

Mark