Top end gasket recommendations for an l20b

G8KeaPoR

So I’m yanking the Weber’s to give them a full disassembly and figured I’d do a port job on the head and clearance the valves. And while I am at it I will stick the intake manifold on the CNC mill so o can make a real vacuum port that spans all 4 cylinders for the vac advance.  Going to see if it helps the below 40’s cold start and idle. Worst case I tap and plug the holes..  sorry off track a bit.   Anyway I wasn’t sure what you all recommend for headgaskets manifold gaskets etc.  I was finding. A ton of felpro which I abhor so I was thinking of going o Nissan since they still have them but would like stronger options if available.  Let me know. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No engine since the mid to late '60 runs intake manifold vacuum, they are all ported from the carburetor. Your distributor is not set up for that and will run too advanced... if you back the timing off to stop pinging it will be too retarded at full mechanical advance. Better to simply leave it alone.

There's nothing wrong with felpro head gaskets on an L20B. There's no special requirement for the manifold gasket either. NAPA has them.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2019 at 10:10 PM, datzenmike said:

No engine since the mid to late '60 runs intake manifold vacuum, they are all ported from the carburetor. Your distributor is not set up for that and will run too advanced... if you back the timing off to stop pinging it will be too retarded at full mechanical advance. Better to simply leave it alone.

There's nothing wrong with felpro head gaskets on an L20B. There's no special requirement for the manifold gasket either. NAPA has them.

C,outdoor I just drill the backside of the carb?  DCOE 9’s and 13’s had vacuum ports for a vacuum advance on equippped MG’s. Assuming that all they did was cast block it off the pathway should still be there.  Worst case I can just plug iTunes back up. Other option is to use a. Vacuum pill like they used from the factory on my 3rd gen RX 7 after the balance tube to limit the vacuum pull after to a maximum based on diameter?  I live in the sticks so the added mileage benefit would be nice.  I’ll probably cross that bridge of to try or not after I get it disassembled for the rebuild.  It may just be more trouble than it’s worth.... which it sounds like.

EDIT - I have no idea why auto correct inserted iTunes back up.  Guess I will chalk it up to it just being a crapple thing.

Edited by G8KeaPoR
On 10/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I would go Nissan head gasket or Durapro graphite out of Australia which is really a a Japan made gasket in 87mm

cold start/

Use the choke and no gas

Or no choke and pump the gas

most L motor running carb just adv the dist to like 12-15 intial advance

Got a part number and know a Nissan dealer or place that sells the Factory Nissan parts?  I won’t use the dealer near me after they lied on the options on the Nissan Rogue that I traded in after 5 months..  honestly blessing in disguise aside from the faulty fan blower motors the car sucked.