Troubleshooting Intermitent loss of power on 84 720

northoak

Hello again, I went ahead and grabbed a fuel pump at pic n pull.  The pump checked out as far as I could tell when I bench tested it with 12v.  Unfortunately swapping it out changed nothing!  Oh well.  Unfortunately I'm considering the vehicle retirement program where they give you $1500 to retire your older car since I am stumped.  Any more suggestions/leads are much appreciated.

Edited by northoak
  • Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont give up ... at least dont give it to one of those car buy back programs...

They will just scrap it.... 

Trying to re read this for any other ideas for you.....

I agree intermittent problems are the worse..... I chased an issue I had with new parts and ended being I had a little too much timing at full advance...

Not saying that's your problem, just that I understand your frustration.....

Have you pulled your plugs to have a look yet?  

Have you verified your timing at all?

Also have you had a look in your gas tank at all or are you looking at the filter for cleanliness?

I had an issue years ago where I would loose power and then it would come back..... I had shit my tank that was big enough block the pick up tube, but once the fuel pump wasnt running it would float away ..... ended up my filler neck was disintegrating and ever time I'd fill up I was contaminating my tank.... 

Not the safest idea but you could temporarily strap a red gas tank in the bed to feed the system..... 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 5:53 AM, Crashtd420 said:

I had an issue years ago where I would loose power and then it would come back..... I had shit my tank that was big enough block the pick up tube, but once the fuel pump wasnt running it would float away ..... ended up my filler neck was disintegrating and ever time I'd fill up I was contaminating my tank.... 

Not the safest idea but you could temporarily strap a red gas tank in the bed to feed the system..... 

as the person possibly inheriting the Nissan i'm also wondering if its something to do with the gas tank. someone else said they were having intermittent power loss an old truck they once had and that ended up being the issue. 

for some reason my initial thought was that a float was getting stuck in the carb? would that be possible or would it be more predictable if that was the case? 

the hard part is that there aren't really any factors that align as to when it happens *besides* if the tank is over half full it happens less. to me that sounds like it could be something in the gas tank and if it got cleaned or replaced it might solve the issue. 

thanks for all of the replies to the thread everyone! i have learned a lot from reading so far

• Like 1

Next time it acts up, quickly and safely, shut off the engine and pull over. The engine has to be off to prevent the electric pump from filling the carburetor while doing so. Expose the front of the carburetor so you can see the gas level through the round glass window on the front. If full of gas (or up near level with the dot) it isn't the tank or the fuel delivery.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

My truck sounds like it has the same problem and I have replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and oil filter as well as the vacuum lines and the pump never stops running so that's never been an issue but my truck does the same thing I'm driving along and then randomly just starts dying but somehow it'll still run in idle under that condition but I figured out if I pulled over and checked all the wires there is one wire coming off the positive that is hot when that happens so I wonder if it's something to do with the throttle body or something similar 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am experiencing the same problem as described, (mine is automatic)  when I accelerate accelerate it accelerates fine sometimes but other times it loses power, like if the spark isn’t working or something and it just sputters without accelerating or going faster… I think it may be the ignition module but if anyone has ever fixed this issue please let us know