hardbody parts on datsun 620

Hello! I am new here and have zero idea what forum I needed to post my question on so I’m sorry if this isn’t the right one but my question still might be answered. I have a 1974 620 that I’m transitioning to a drift truck, but I really want to upgrade the suspension. I have found a very nice hardbody that’s cheap and easily accessible. Does any of the D21 hardbody suspension parts go on to the Datsun? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay the penny to have a custom suspension? I do know a fabricator and it won’t be through the roof for me fortunately but if it’s easily done to just switch the newer parts from the d21 to the datsun would that suffice for a good little while so I can focus on other things with the truck and not have to send it off. Thank you anybody who can answer my very vague question!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well go full fab if any fab is needed. Good thing I know me a feller. 😛 

I was just thinking that 1987 parts are 13 years newer than 1974 and maybe they were interchangeable. And to change them out before they broke from the havoc that will be ensued. 

Oh man! I honestly didn’t think of that being a possibility. What about the wheel base? Is it the same? Would the wheel wells line up more or less? I want the wider stance! 😛 like I said, I know a really good feller that will help me out in any way possible, it’s just telling him what I want done and going about it the right way. He’s not a datsun man though so these questions are not for him.

I put a 1966 Datsun 520 cab onto a 1986 Nissan 720 kingcab frame/chassis, I also lowered it, the front lower control arms had to be shortened as the tires were hitting the fenders and the rear tires had to be this one size or smaller otherwise they hit the inside of the fenders also, but I drastically lowered it.

If you were to leave it normal height you would likely be fine as long as you are not trying to use aftermarket mags made for larger trucks.

I have done several chassis conversions, 10 years ago this state didn't really care about the chassis, but times have changed, I would not put another cab on a different chassis unless that vehicle the chassis came from was in my name and I paid my taxes on it.

I do not know what the laws are in TN, you need to look into this before doing something that is not reversible as most folks I know that did a chassis change got rid of the original chassis/frame to that title/cab.

If you own both frames this helps if you go legit at the DMV. I had a '78 620 KC body on an '82 long box frame. The frame number (it was rolled and must have been 'written off') would never have matched the cab ID plate but who would even think of checking this anyway? They would have to have some reason for this and I gave none. I had no intention of selling it which technically would be wrong even though no one is being 'ripped off' over it. I think the laws are to protect the public from unscrupulous shops buying two wrote off vehicles cutting them in half and welding them together to make one 'good' one.  When I was done with it I gave it away.              

The 720 chassis is a good idea. You can buy drop spindles from Belltech as well. 

Is there much of a width distance change between 620 and 720 between the torsion bars. I could use a few more inches! 

Also a wider front may give some options for rack and pinion. 

All of which would help on a drift truck id think. 

That said i have D22 spindles and brakes on my 78 620, the steer arms need swapping to suit other than that its like nissan lego.