Quick question

Berta720

G1cMOAU.jpgI have the center console thing from an 85 4wd 720 and want to put it in my 81 720. I would use the gauges there if I could. Volt should be simple, battery ground and backlight? But idk what all the wires on the oil pressure are and where I would have to run the wires from. 

Any info?oc68F0z.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should just be the ground wire (to the frame or common ground wire.  The wire to the oil pressure sensor (small sensor that screws directly into your block I believe with one wire to it).  And the ignition switch wire that goes to all the gauges to turn them on with the ignition.  There could also be a separate light circuit in there or something.  How many wires?  

You will need the oil pressure sender from a 4x4 or any other 80s vehicle that had a pressure gauge. The gauge sender has two wires, one for the gauge and one to work the in dash red low pressure light. I've put several of these in cars and my old 620 and you will need to run one wire out from the gauge to the sender. The red warning light is already there. Keep the red light. It's more noticeable than constantly checking the gauge.

51N9qOnuZML._SL1000_.jpg

Has two wires somewhat like the back of the alternator or a matchbox dizzy. You'll need to find one of these plastic plugs. If you find a sender in a wrecking yard use a 14mm? or 9/16? (I forget) spanner. It's hard to get the wrench in behind it. DO NOT grab it and try to twist it off you'll fuck it up inside. Loosen first

I didn't bother looking for the lighting circuit and just wired it into the 12 on with ignition. The light is on any time the gauge is working and who cares if it's on during the daytime?

Black is ground

Yellow/Red is power from fuse.

... gotta go to work finish tonight.....

Do not start adding grounds!!!

First you need the pigtail for that console assembly, can you go back and get it out of the 1985 4wd 720, the 2 plugs combine into one plug and connect behind the heater ducting near the firewall, there are 2 reasons to get this pigtail, one so you have it as you need it, second reason is so when you remove it you will see where the plug is in the wiring harness and then you will know where to look for that plug in your wiring harness, I have diesel engines in a couple of my trucks and use diesel wiring harnesses, none are 4wd but all my 720 diesel wiring harnesses have had the console gauge wiring/plug in my harnesses except for my 1980 Datsun 720 2wd wiring harnesses, I had to make my own wiring on that vehicle.

If you want your gauge lights to work properly your going to have to find the proper wires in your wiring harness if you cannot find the pigtail and the plug in your harness, the 720 gauge light circuit is isolated just like the headlight circuit, on my 1982 wiring diagram they are red/yellow and red/blue, these are the 2 wires you will need to use to make your gauge lights work properly.

There are a couple unused plugs in our 720 wiring harnesses, one is on the left side of the steering column, this plug has R/L, R/Y, Y/R, Y/L, B wires, it has the light circuit wires you need and a  power wire for the volt meter and oil pressure gauge, there is also another plug  that is likely used for the stock radio, it has a Br wire that is hot that could be used for power to the oil and volt gauges, it also has 2 light green wires, they are likely meant for speakers.

It would be best if you found the pigtail and the plug in your harness, it would be plug and play(plug in and everything works) except for the sensor/sender, sometimes the engine bay wiring harness doesn't have the gauge wire/plug, sometimes it is wrapped up in tape without the plug, you have to find the wire if you can, otherwise you have to run your own wire to the sender/sensor.

This is what the pigtail looks like.

DSCN3605.jpg

Edited by wayno

ok tha'ts sweet, I can easily go to that 85 4x4 as it is basically in my back yard. I can prob try to get that sender from that truck too and hope it works. I was wondering about how I would be able wire them in because I didn't want to cut the plugs off and stuff.

I am not saying for sure your wiring harness has the plug you need to just plug it in, but all mine had it except one of my rigs.

Keep in mind that most of the pigtails have the same plug at the wiring harness connection, but where they plug into the gauges themselves there are different types depending on the year, that is why I said go get the pigtail from the truck you got this console from, and when you get it you will see where on your wiring harness to look for the plug.

If you can plug it in it is so much easier as your harness is already wired for it, if you have to wire your gauges from scratch it is way harder especially for the gauge lights, if you look at your wires on the gauge lights the wires will be either red/yellow and or red/blue, there are no black ground wires connected to that isolated light, the ground for all the gauge lights is in the illumination control unit, if you add an extra ground to that circuit like only using the red/yellow wire and you ground the other wire shit gets screwed up because you added a ground where there is not supposed to be a ground.

Just get the pigtail and if you don't have a plug in your harness just pm me or post that you need to know which wires to use, there are unused plugs in your harness that you can use or you can splice into them.

Also when you get the sender/sensor on the side of the block, you need to use a wrench to remove it, do not grab the housing with your hand and twist as it can ruin that unit removing it that way, and if the intake is still on the engine it is going to likely be a real pain to get it off the block, you need to use a wrench to remove and install the sender/sensor.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually found the harness for the center console hiding in my 2wd up above the heater ducting. It all works except for the oil sending of course. But it is also too far away for how I have to mount the center console in my truck. So I will have to splice all the wires on the harness. But it's sweet that I don't need to need with gauge lighting and the volt meter works great. Who knows maybe I will put something other than a oil pressure gauge in it. 

iXcs2Iu.jpg86EFJZI.jpgVlOnn5t.jpg

2 minutes ago, wayno said:

So your saying the pig tail is not long enough?

I have never heard such a thing, maybe you need to re-route the pig tail higher or a different way, all mine I have installed had no issues with length.

Well it might have something to do with the fact that I can't get the console in as far as I think it should be. But does the connector in the truck have more length to it? Like does it have wires folded back into the harness? I haven't actually took a good look just plugged it in from what I could see

I know it is hard to get in there, but that pig tail should be more than long enough to reach your console gauges.

Maybe the plug is taped into the main harness and if you can remove the tape you can move the plug closer to the console, was the plug end pointed towards the passenger side?

13 hours ago, wayno said:

I know it is hard to get in there, but that pig tail should be more than long enough to reach your console gauges.

Maybe the plug is taped into the main harness and if you can remove the tape you can move the plug closer to the console, was the plug end pointed towards the passenger side?

Ya thats what I was wondering. will investigate tonight