L20B air cleaner removal

oukippy

Hello guys,

It has been a long time since my last visit here and I'm back because  I have a fuel line problem.

Since several weeks, I have trouble to start the engine. Fuel isn't injected correctly at start. I was able to start only if the car was parked with the back higher than front. The other way to start was to put some fuel directly in the carburator, trough the air cleaner. AFter the first start, I had no more problem, it was starting every time unless I don't use it during several hours. As it's not my daily and I had other priorities (new house), it was okay for me like this.

But I recently noticed a fuel leak nearby the carburator of my 620, under the air cleaner. I think it's related to my previous problem (with luck it will just need a good screwdriver to fix it). The leak is proportional to the acceleration.

Problem is : I don't understand how to remove the air cleaner and I'm desperately looking for some explanations on Google. I'm starting to think it's such an easy task that no one had trouble with it but I'm kind of newbie with engines so I don't want to mess it up...

If someone could help me on this problem, thank you very much !

Ouki

here is my sweat 620:

1564212628-france-jpg.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some air filters have a wing nut on the top with 3 clips spaced around the top that clamp in down to the rest of the air filter. In addition on the front of the housing is a strap that bolts it to the intake.

AirFilter2_zps2066ac10.jpg

The two bolts are easy to see but the 3 clips aren't. Mine has them but other's may not.

AirFilter3_zps21b3b3d9.jpg

Some may also have this clamp that grips the carburetor throat that needs to be loosened. Not all have this.

Thank you (again) Mike. I was able to do it. I didn't understood how to loose the clamp but now it's done (no clips and the bolts linking the strap and the air cleaner are missing so it only remains the wing nut and the clamp).

I was able to move the air cleaner a little bit. I hope it will be enough to find where the fuel is coming from. If I need to remove it completely, do I need to disconnect 5 ducts as shown on the following picture ?

1564238890-air-cleaner.jpg

MY 620 is from CA so I think most of the ducts are related to the EGR system. Any possible trouble if I remove then to look what's happening with the carburetor? 

(you don't have any idea how I feel when I'm trying to repair an engine problem only with Internet and services manuals to understand what I must do 🤔🤯🤣)

When you cycle the linkage to the carb does gas shoot in the main barrel? If No it going to be hard to start.

take photos of where everything goes.

My 521 with the stock carb would not start also. There was no gas in the carb the needle valve was stuck.  A man showed me by tapping on the inlet to the carb the gas would go part the needle valve and fill up the float bowl full of gas.

On my 521 when I got a used Weber DGV carb the accel pump diapram had a hole and would leak gas out the side of the carb very much.

Its time for e new carb anyways

I've found the leak without completely removing the air cleaner :

1564725925-img-20190801-184731.jpg

My screw driver seemed to be enough to repair it and I didn't see anything else leaking.

Now my problem is that I can't put back the clamp that grips the carburetor throat because I don't see under the air cleaner. Is it supposed to be easy ?

Edited by oukippy