• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Excellent work.  Thank you

Thanks! 👍

5 hours ago, weldingrod said:

In Canada we would have taken a video of lighting up the tires.

Once I get my new ecu installed there will be burnouts 😉

• Like 1

I knew a fella in Las Vegas that put a Z20E EFI on his 720's Z24. There was difficulty getting the original MAF sensor to handle the extra displacement. This was the old early 80s out of date 'batch fire' set up. I think he swapped in some of the EFI from a much later and similar displacement KA24E

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I knew a fella in Las Vegas that put a Z20E EFI on his 720's Z24. There was difficulty getting the original MAF sensor to handle the extra displacement. This was the old early 80s out of date 'batch fire' set up. I think he swapped in some of the EFI from a much later and similar displacement KA24E

Yeah I know who that is. He used a remapped ka24e ecu in the end with the turbo. 

I know the struggle I used the standard L-jetronic at the beginning and trying to tune that flappy paddle afm to match even standard 280zxt injectors was a pita never got it right and the very reason I switched to a standalone ecu. 

• Like 1

My plans if it happens would be a Megasquirt on a 200sx manifold. The distributor would be eliminated as well as the AFM . Speed density set up would be simpler with less parts . The challenge of a 4WD would be even less room to work with . I like your brake booster fix , that would help with room. 

Thats a lot smart work - kudos

• Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, Madkaw said:

My plans if it happens would be a Megasquirt on a 200sx manifold. The distributor would be eliminated as well as the AFM . Speed density set up would be simpler with less parts . The challenge of a 4WD would be even less room to work with . I like your brake booster fix , that would help with room. 

Thats a lot smart work - kudos

200sx, you mean the early 80's Datsun coupe with the z20e engine? S110 is that it? 

On 7/3/2019 at 2:24 PM, datzenmike said:

It's a small world isn't it?

At least with the advent of the internet it is 😅

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I believe so - I haven’t bought one yet, but my research showed early 80’s 200sx. Just some minor port mods for matching 

Correct, the manifold is round port so you need to open it up a bit for the square z24 ports. Also you need to make a little notch in the 24 head for the injector ports. You can see it here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RZFGtR51gvUQrxAZA

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Your crank trigger is giving you issues ?

Not being critical , but since I’m considering the same project , why did you try so hard to have the intercooler inside the radiator core ?. There seems so little room in these engine compartments and you lost a lot of room moving the radiator . 

Now that I have done a lot of work on these trucks I can really appreciate all the work it was to do this project . Very cool. 

• Like 1
On 1/22/2020 at 3:29 AM, Madkaw said:

Your crank trigger is giving you issues ?

Not being critical , but since I’m considering the same project , why did you try so hard to have the intercooler inside the radiator core ?. There seems so little room in these engine compartments and you lost a lot of room moving the radiator . 

Now that I have done a lot of work on these trucks I can really appreciate all the work it was to do this project . Very cool. 

The issue was with the triggerdisc from diyautotune; the crank signal was fine, and it would run in semi sequential mode like that. But the cam sync was producing false positives which would lead to hard to no-starts and sometimes it would fire on the wrong stroke upon startup leading to backfires, more so when the engine was warm.

I tested with the stock oem wheel and it had no issues with cam sync, I'm now running the AEM triggerdisc and have since had NO issues whatsoever.

The intercooler is easy; I didn't want to cut my front valance or having it hanging off the underside of the bumper, in my eyes that just looks half-arsed and thrown together for the sake of it. I wanted it to appear stock from the outside.

It makes stuff a little bit more cramped but it all clears, with all the extra amount of pipework a turbo and intercooler adds it's gonna be a tight fit regardless of what option you go for intercooler-wise 😉

• Like 1