L16 running very poor. Ideas?

hobbes_the_cat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then probably more than enough to keep the solenoid engaged. If still hit or miss the solenoid may be bad or the electrical contacts inside the starter pitted and dirty. Is the positive battery connection on the starter lug clean and tight?

Oh my goodness. I’m going to pull my hair out. 

Since the new module didn’t make a difference and I still had no spark I swapped the original module back in. Looked over the distributor real good to see if there was any loose parts and all looks smooth. 

Reinstalled the dizzy and now it has spark. Still not enough to start but its coughing and sputtering...

thats all I did. Didn’t adjust the timing wen I pulled the dizzy, I pulled the base with it. 

So I got it running! 

After cranking it forever I decided to put it on the battery charger to avoid running the battery dead. It wasn’t even struggling to spin the engine yet but I did it as a precaution. A min after plugging it in it fired up! Ran terrible, wouldn’t rev, backfired like crazy but I kept it going till it would hold idle and it gradually felt like it was running better every minute. 

So I I’m plugged the charger and checked the voltage at the battery and it was still at 12v... alternator is not charging. 

I hooked up the charger again and let it run with the charger hooked up and it eventually ran great. 

So I think this is the conclusion. 

Battery had more than enough juice to spin the starter, run lights ect but wasn’t quite enough to power up the electronic ignition. 

That’s why it ran pretty good when I first fired it off, the battery was fully charged but as it ran down (even tho still reading 12.2 volts) wasn’t enough to keep the ignition going. 

I’m going to get the alternator working and see if that was it. 

Thanks for all all the help guys.