L20b/w 58 head freez plugs

Kingcab

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean on the side of the block. They are actually called core pugs and are openings to remove the interior sand mold after the casting process. I forget the size but auto supply stores like NAPA should have lots of them Just measure them, probably in mm and tell them what they are for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freeze-Plug-Set-Fits-68-04-Nissan-Datsun-1-6L-2-4L-SOHC-Cu-97-L16-L18-L20B-/262585368992

s-l1600.jpg

A picture is worth 1000 words....

The only holes in the head that I can think of, other than the ports, are the coolant holes for the stock intake manifold.

They are below, and centered between each pair of intake ports.

Not all heads have them.

They can be plugged. I can't remember right off the top of my head, but I think I tapped them 1/4 NPT, and used pipe plugs on one head years ago.

But they are round, so there is no reason you couldn't use freeze plugs. Just have to measure the hole diameter, and go from there.

If you are talking about the block, those are 40mm, and available everywhere.

An L4 takes 7 of them, and if one is bad, consider them all bad, and do all of them at once.

There are 2 on one side, three on the other, one under the flywheel, and one under the front cover.

I highly suggest the brass ones.

Make sure the holes are clean from any crap, or rust, and use sealer on them.

My favorite for freeze plugs is Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac.

So he actually means the head?

If a W58 head, those holes should be left open to flow coolant into the matching intake. If not using the coolant the gasket and intake will seal them anyway. All gaskets even for the U67 heads have the holes even though not used. One size fits all.

Yes 40mm! This is the core plug used to seal up the spline hole on the 521 trucks.