My free 1980 720

Infantryhog818

Hello everyone Trey here,

I’m brand new to the Datsun world and new to carburetors as well. That being said back in May of 2018 I traded some things I got for free for this Datsun. Hence the name free 720. I don’t know how to post pictures so if someone could let me know that’d be great! But I’ve got the king cab 4x4 with the 5 speed with the L20B and the thing is great it sat for I think 10 years and after putting a Weber 32/36 I got it fired up! Still not perfect yet and still have many questions! I guess the main question is what’s the part number for the valve seats? Need to change those out to stop the smoking!

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you mean the valve guide seals? Any auto supply store, like NAPA, Lordco... can get those. They fit over the valve under the spring and control the oil that goes down the stem. Usually bad seals don't smoke as much as bad rings. They can be changed buy using a piece of rope in the plug hole to hold the valves closed while you compress the valve spring to change them.

For pictures you will need to start a (free) account at any picture hosting site (other than Photobucket) and download you picture there. You then copy the picture information, bring it here and paste it into your post. This is an abbreviated explanation.

Welcome to Ratsun

• Like 1

I am not sure you can use the d 21 brakes. He has a 4x4. I measured d21 calipers for my 82 4x4 and concluded that it wasn't going to work. The 80-83 4x4 front end is odd and unfortunately halfshaft are no longer available. Also I can't find a 4x4 center link. Another odd but useless observation the halfshaft are the same spline count and size as the trans input shaft. I was in my shop and saw the clutch alignment tool and stuck a spare hub assembly on it. The l 20 uses the same halfshaft as the z just the long side and short side are reversed. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, bottomwatcher said:

I am not sure you can use the d 21 brakes. He has a 4x4. I measured d21 calipers for my 82 4x4 and concluded that it wasn't going to work. The 80-83 4x4 front end is odd and unfortunately halfshaft are no longer available. Also I can't find a 4x4 center link. Another odd but useless observation the halfshaft are the same spline count and size as the trans input shaft. I was in my shop and saw the clutch alignment tool and stuck a spare hub assembly on it. The l 20 uses the same halfshaft as the z just the long side and short side are reversed. 

Good point, I wonder if D21 4x4 hubs will fit?

The '80 differential was on the right or passenger side while the Z22/Z24 differentials are on the driver's side. I believe the longer left side '80 driveshaft can be used on the right side with the later Z22/24 4x4s. The '80 also has the one year only oil pan with bulge on the left side to clear the differential on the right. Again the Z series were opposite.....

4X4 L20B

iuGaIzW.jpg

• Like 1