Steering box?

gogodatzn

So, I'm wanting to put power steering on my 86 2wd. I got a PS box from a junk yard that was supposed to be from a 2wd but it's the same as the 4x4. My question is, are the output shaft and splines the same between the two. The pitman arms are different with the one ball joints being on one and not on the other. Will the pitman arm from my truck fit on the 4x box? Thanks in advance for any info. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is correct, you will need the power steering column also as the 2wd rag joint hits the upper control arm, you need the power steering column that has the knuckle at the steering gear connection instead of the rag joint.

As far as I know the splines on all 720 power steering gears are the same and you can put the 2wd pitman arm on that steering gear, they can be difficult to remove though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply you guys. I did see the column mentioned in some earlier threads. No mention of the pitman arm difference though. I'll be hunting down a PS column this winter. If not I may look into modifying what I have to work. Safty first! I do have other Datsun steering parts to work with. Not my first Ratsun but it is my first 720. 

The first time I used a 4wd power steering column in my 2wd as the 4wd also has the rag joint at the steering gear like all 2wd trucks without power steering, I cut off the offending corner off the upper control arm, while it is not something I would ever do again it appeared to fix the issue until I found a 2wd power steering column.

• Like 2