Correct Fusible Link?

Spawn

Yes that will work if it matches the original. However a proper fusible link has an advantage over a regular fuse. The fusible link can sustain a dead short for several seconds before getting hot enough to melt and break the circuit. A regular fuse will blow instantly. Good idea to carry several spares in the glove box so you don't get stranded.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes that will work if it matches the original. However a proper fusible link has an advantage over a regular fuse. The fusible link can sustain a dead short for several seconds before getting hot enough to melt and break the circuit. A regular fuse will blow instantly. Good idea to carry several spares in the glove box so you don't get stranded.

Thank you 🙏 

Any chance you have a link to the right part? I found the item below but I don’t see a carrier that might place it in between a wire link? (I’m trying to replace a missing fusible link between my battery + and the WR wire coming off Alternator terminal A.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apex-Tool-Group-BPFLB40RP-40-Amp-Bolt-on-Fusible-Link-With-13-16/173904268?gbraid=0AAAAADmfBIobz8fVd5X2EPEBnbmV9s1w9&wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-1651068664546:pla-51320962143&wl5=9031201&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=173904268&veh=sem&gbraid=0AAAAADmfBIobz8fVd5X2EPEBnbmV9s1w9&gclid=CjwKCAjwvNaYBhA3EiwACgndglG2EiGHgT_AnCx2ExWkPTs2nOD5hzIuyEAKe4xmEoiOC1kXS4Q8KxoCcLAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can buy fusible link at auto supply stores and solder it in line. Nissan color code is Green for 40 amp. and 0.5 square mm. Others may not match color but as long as 40 amp you are good. Use only fusible link as it has a special plastic coating that will not catch fire when the wire melts.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can buy fusible link at auto supply stores and solder it in line. Nissan color code is Green for 40 amp. and 0.5 square mm. Others may not match color but as long as 40 amp you are good. Use only fusible link as it has a special plastic coating that will not catch fire when the wire melts.

My local autozone only had FL16, so it might be too large. I bought a 40amp fusible plug link like in the link above, and I can make that work. I know It’s not the right part, but it might be an alternative solution.

Proper sizing of fusible link can be confusing. A good rule of thumb is to use a fusible link wire gauge that is 4 sizes smaller than the wire it is protecting, so if the wire is 10ga, then the fusible link will be 14ga. Tough to convert AWG to mm, but there are online resources to help you figure it out. Also, the length of the fusible link wire is crucial. Make the new one the same length as the old one and you should be fine.

Generic fusible link wire can be found at Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fusible-links/product-line/pico-fusible-link-wires

And here - https://www.whiteproducts.com/fusible-specs.shtml

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yes, you should, but most people don't.

Think of it this way - the fusible link protects the harness from melting if the alternator shorts out.

What size would you recommend I upgrade to? or should I upgrade to a different type all together? I have a 100 amp alternator from a 98 saturn and the original fusible link on my 76 620 broke off at the crimp sp I figured now would be the time to upgrade. 

• Like 1