Z22 Engine swap

mikecaleb

I am in the middle of swapping out my z24i engine in my 1986 Nissan Hardbody with a 1983 Z22 Engine. The Z22 engine came with the 4 wire vacuum advance distributor , a 32/36 Weber carburetor, a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the head, and it also has already had the double roller timing chain swap done to it. My z24i has electronic vacuum advance. I am needing to figure out how to wire up the new distributor and also i was wanting to figure out vacuum line routing on the the engine. The truck has had the emissions  deleted, air conditioner deleted, and the EGR valve deleted. Thanks in advance for the help.

Also i was curious if there are any ignition upgrades that i could do to the new distributor. MSD coils maybe? I have  even seen a pertronix electronic ignition upgrade to replace the points. Would anything be gained?

Another thing was my exhaust set up. I would like it to sound aggressive but nothing like these Honda you see with the fart cans on them. I have a pacesetter header and dynomax super turbo muffler running the stock exhaust diameter and the cats have been removed. There is not a vehicle inspection where i live. Any ideas or Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the electric fuel pump may be in the tank, but either way you can't run it because the pressure is in the 40 PSI range. I don't know if the mechanical pump can suck fuel through it or not. Something to think about.

This distributor???

fBkHHry.jpg

For the distributor you'll need a switched power supply that is on in start and run.  One of the wires is the power wire the other two go to the coil negative sides. The separate white? wire, just leave disconnected.

The 720 doesn't use points. Stick with the factory ignition, it's already electronic, high output. There's nothing wrong with it. Shiny red MSD coils and boxes are like fishing lures.... they catch more fishermen than fish.

Exhaust' sounds' about right as it is. If you already have the header fine to use it. If you're just thinking about getting one save your money.

• Like 1

I was told that i would need to remove the fuel pump in the tank and just put a filter on the end of the hose.is this true? and is that all id have to change to run the mechanical style? i would like to keep and use the mechanical fuel pump on the z22.

Could i obtain my switched power supply from one of the wires running to ignition cylinder underneath the steering column? Would i need a inline fuse from the wire underneath the column to the distributor? Also can i use my coils from the z24i?

• Like 1

A filter in the tank would be damned hard to change when it gets dirty. No, put a filter just before the mechanical pump where you can get at it. Change every two years and you'll have no problems with dirt in the carb.

I've seen Hardbody coils used on older vehicles but how they are wired I don't know.

• Like 1

They have a 2 terminal male plug end on the back. i suppose that as long as the terminals are labeled positive and negative it'd wire up just the same?

Another thing that i wanted to ask was if there are any differences between the motor mounts on the 2 engines?

• Like 1

If you have the Z22 coils use them.

Use the Z22 mounts engine brackets if you have them. The Z24 engine is just 3/4" taller just below the head. That's the only external difference. They should be the same.

You can run the vacuum advance hose directly to the distributor if you want. For emission purposes the vacuum advance is only allowed when the engine is warmed up. That's what that thermal vacuum valve TVV does.

• Like 1

The TVV is an open air bleed that destroys the vacuum advance signal. It's bolted to the intake with it's end in the coolant. As the engine warms up the air bleed closes and vacuum is applied to the distributor. As the engine is cold anyway you probably won't notice anything when driving.

• Like 1

The oil pump? or the spindle that drives it and the distributor?

If the oil pump just look up inside the timing cover for the drive spindle. It has a sort of screwdriver blade that fits into the pump to turn it. Adjust your oil pump to match and wiggle it back in.

If the spindle fell out, that's much different. Were you at TDC? That will make putting it back together easier.

exnMrfw.jpg

• Like 1

The spindle fell out with the pump when i took it off. then i took the distributor out while trying to line everything back up. The mark on the crankshaft pulley is just a little past the 0 degree mark and the piston under number one spark plug on exhaust side is all the way up it feels like.

• Like 1

Get as close to TDC as you can with the distributor out.

Assemble the spindle and the oil pump like this, bottom left...

Bc1jEpY.jpg

Install the pump and the spindle and push up into the timing cover and get like the picture on the right above.

Here's a better view of how the top of the spindle should look. Note that thee is a large and a small side half moon.

caCNXMO.jpg

Slip the distributor back in place, it only fits in, in one position and you're done.

• Like 1