720 suspension

Spchlss

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanics like to replace everything. I've heard it all... "Well I can't guarantee my work if used parts are left on there." "The old parts will just wear out that much faster." "Well as long as it's apart, might as well change it all. It'll just cost for the new parts." It gives good results and they make lots of money, but it's expensive for the owner. Did you mean suspension or steering? or both combined?

The best defense against a mechanic taking advantage of you is to know what needs replacing and tell him what you want done. Better yet buy a few tools and a factory service manual and start doing some light work yourself. 

Suspension wear is usually old worn bushings and ball joints. Springs don't wear out but they may sag or settle. The 720 ride height is totally adjustable.

Steering is another story and usually ball joints and idler arm.  

• Like 2

Ball joints are easy but bushings a bit of a bitch. Being a welder I fabbed up a couple of tools to press the old ones out (relatively easy) and to install the new ones (that is where the bitchy part comes in).

Freezing the bushings helps and I used neverseez as a lube.

• Like 1