620 rear axle questions

2000subaru

So i pulled my rear axles to do disc brakes.  I had a friend press them out of the collars and have new bearings to replace the old and worn set that were on previously.  After further inspection I have a few questions and I need some answers.  

1.  I noticed that the backs of each axle are different, completely different.  This may be the way it is supposed to be, but I don't remember which axle is which.  

2.  One axle has a spacer on the shaft, it is visible on in the image on the right axle.  the other axle doesn't have one.  Is this correct? It appears upon inspection, that the left axle in the image should have a spacer.  It looks like there was one previously.  Any idea on sourcing?

I am looking to Datsun for some help.  The Internet was not much help for me this time, and Datsun on Facebook went unanswered.  

-36983676_10213275024850007_5820220133972Krysto

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My parts call up shows no difference between L&R axles themselves. Those metal things held on by the wheel studs are 'grease catchers'? Looks like they are different but again nothing on the info I have has a L or R part number. By any chance is there an L or R stamped into the spline end? 

Have someone look at their axle with the drum off. You should be able to see the small or large 'grease catcher and which side it's on. Otherwise...

I'm at a loss.

It looks like the grease catcher on the left has been cut. The edge doesn't appear to be even. It also looks like it has an 1/8" wear mark of sorts next to the cut. 

I ended up removing my catchers when the axles were redrilled for a different bolt pattern.