Buick recycling project 280z lt1 swap

After trying to sell my buick roadmaster wagon and only receiving lo ball offers ranging from 500 to 750 dollars I think that I have found a better use for the engine and transmission.

I am going to swap the lt1 into my 75 280z. Is there anyone here in GA that has done such a swap?

I considered swapping the engine into my 520 but sanity returned a bit later.

If there is interest I could document the swap as it occurs.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check over at hybridz.org i did a small block into a 1980 zx but the lt1 is a bit different, but still basically the same. there are even mountkits and everything to make it go smoothly. i took me a month working at a good clip 3 evenings a week. takes most 3-4 months it seems.

Yes. http://www.hybridz.org is the place you need to go. I did an LS1 swap into my 240Z and I got so much help at hybridz.

I will warn you that you need to use the search function before asking questions as they are very strict about that. They will ream you a new one of you don't search the archives first.

I believe that there is a guy Nmaed Dale on Hybrid that is in Atlanta and swapped an LT1 into his 280Z. Search for him.

Good Luck with the swap.

LT1 is a great candidate for a Z swap. No distributor / hood latch issues. No carb / hood issues. I've done a v8 Z and I've done LT1 swaps in other cars. If you can afford a JTR kit life is good. If you don't want to spend the money; use 1967-1972 chev PU motor mounts on the block (sorry, you'll have to ditch the AC compressor). Use 2" c-channel spacers on top of stock perches. You'll need to fab a trans crossmember. Swap headers are spendy but I have seen inexpensive block huggers used. When it comes to wiring use a '94-'95 harness and PCM, NOT a '96. They are OBD1 and simpler to deal with. You should do it!