Anyone have the retro-spec CF air dam?

Good Evening,
Today, I destroyed the BRE Carbon fiber air dam on my dime.  It had been cracked previously but today it finally sang its swan song.

I cannot find the replacement on BRE's site and sent a query to BRE to see if they can get a replacement part. In case they do not carry it any longer, i am looking at the retro-spec air dam in CF.  

Has anyone used a retro-spec one before and if so, how was the quality?  

Please, before you say, "the air dam is ricey or unneeded"  I am not convinced I will be replacing the broken air dam, I am just exploring the options.  I am looking for genuine opinions on the retro-spec part only if you have purchased and used it.  Thanks in advance.

The air dam url is: https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/retro-spec-carbon-fiber-datsun-510-front-airdam?variant=14487805383

Pic of my air dam in better days.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_20_at_9_34_01_PM.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How bad did it crack?

Can you possibly repair the crack, and maybe recover with new carbon fiber ... I have seen it sold in sheets and I think you can apply it just like a fiberglass sheet using the liquid and resin ...

Worth a shot if it's the style you like..

You could even repair with jusr fiberglass

Then you can paint it black and then use duplicolors carbon fiber paint kit to get the carbon fiber look back.... just an idea..

I have the retro-spec in fiberglass.  I would imagine its the same mold.

It is still boxed up, but I will snap pics of it tonight.

Bashed off my BRE moons ago, and have just been lazy to install the new...

How bad did it crack?

Can you possibly repair the crack, and maybe recover with new carbon fiber ... I have seen it sold in sheets and I think you can apply it just like a fiberglass sheet using the liquid and resin ...

Worth a shot if it's the style you like..

You could even repair with jusr fiberglass

Then you can paint it black and then use duplicolors carbon fiber paint kit to get the carbon fiber look back.... just an idea..

Unfortunately it is cracked beyond repair. there are chunks of CF that flew off on the drive home before I knew the extent of the damage. It was cracked previously and repaired, but this time it is a goner.

I have the retro-spec in fiberglass.  I would imagine its the same mold.

It is still boxed up, but I will snap pics of it tonight.

Bashed off my BRE moons ago, and have just been lazy to install the new...

Thank you sir. I am interested in quality and fit. I want to make sure it is as easy to "bolt on" as Retro-spec states. I am also curious if the RS air dam sits higher or lower to the ground than the BRE counterpart.

Hey all,
I heard back from BRE and they do make the CF part, it just isnt on their site. I ordered it and as luck would have it, it wont be 4-6 weeks as they will be making it before the supply run next week.  it should ship next friday.  I seriously considered not replacing it but the lower valance on my ride behind where the air-damn is installed is kind of bent up so the air dam will hide the ugliness.  I was very pleased how responsive and helpful BRE was.