Questions to get my L20 wrapped up

Button

Hey guys I am trying to get a my L20 rebuild wrapped up and installed with a 5 speed into my 510 but I have a few questions first.

1) Should I install the engine first or the transmission first or should I install them as a single unit? What is easiest?

2) My valve cover has this hard sealant on the edge of the internal baffle that is kinda flaking off and It doesn't take much while picking at it to have it break off. Obviously I don't want hard chunks falling on to the valve train so can I remove this stuff and if so will I need to seal it with something else? If i should reseal it what should I use?

thanks

Valve_Cover_01_zpsejfdhjnh.jpg

Valve_Cover_03_zpsznbfvfg8.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with mike, I always do engine from top and transmission from the bottom after.

Techtip: get some long bolts, cut the heads off and thread into the block hand tight. It makes it easier to line up the trans and slide it in, then remove and replace with the trans bolts one at a time.

Thanks guys, and putting the bolts in with the cut off heads for alignment is a good tip.

So I went to clean my oil pick up last night and I got the screen clean but some little chunks have fallen in to the inside of the oil pick up. Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the debris out of there?

Unbolt it or if off, just wash it or shake it out. Metal and most things don't float in oil so they are safely on the pan bottom. If on the screen it must be pretty light (like RTV) and soft. The oil filter will trap it easily.

• 4 weeks later...