3.3L question

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Does anyone here know about the supercharged 3.3L they put in the late model frontiers and Xterras? Anyone heard any bad things? Rear sump oil pan? Almost time for a bonus, and cant decide between that or a late model dual cam KA for my truck.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know they were 210hp and there's not much room for improvement... But he'll 210hp, probably 180-190tq... That's plenty! Never heard anything bad about them, but you may want to do agoogle search with "nissan 3.3 supercharged common problems" just for a precaution... But take it with a grain of salt, there will always be a naysayer in every group.

You still want to do that welding for me?

I know a guy that put one in a 720. They are tall with the blower. It will stick out of the hood. it required a good bit of fabricating to get it in with the torsion bars in place.

I know of a guy with a KA with plans for one of those s/c.... Yeah, won't hold my breath but will keep track of it.

Guest DatsuNoob
As far as I know they were 210hp and there's not much room for improvement... But he'll 210hp, probably 180-190tq... That's plenty! Never heard anything bad about them, but you may want to do agoogle search with "nissan 3.3 supercharged common problems" just for a precaution... But take it with a grain of salt, there will always be a naysayer in every group.

You still want to do that welding for me?

Yeah, just spooled on another roll of wire, got plenty of gas left. Pick a day, I'd be happy to help. May call on you in the future for some wiring help though.

Thanks for the info guys, I dont know hardly anything about the VG motors.

Yeah, just spooled on another roll of wire, got plenty of gas left. Pick a day, I'd be happy to help. May call on you in the future for some wiring help though.

Thanks for the info guys, I dont know hardly anything about the VG motors.

The supercharged VG is a great option for a tow rig or something where you want/need the torque. It is a cool setup from the factory. The only "real challenge" is the fabricating. If you switched to front coil overs and ditched the torsion bars, it would make fitting the engine in a 620 a TON easier.

A big advantage of the VG with respect to under hood real estate is it's only three cylinders deep instead of four. This leaves plenty of room for the cooling system.

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah, I know they're stumpy front to back. Height may be an issue, I dont wanna mess with the hood lines. But t-bars are definitely gonna get dropped like a hot pan. I would like to have the adjustability (ride quality vs no front springs, and a little cornering ability would be nice) of a coil-over spring. Just gotta get that bonus and I'll have Santa hangin out with me in the garage early this year.

hmmmm, this seems odd. The KA I put in my 620 bolted right in and the VG and KA use the exact same frame mounts in the HB. I dont see how the torsions even come into play. Where do they interfere steve? The vg33 uses a unique oil filter design is that what hits? You will definitely be sticking out of the hood with this setup though. You will also need to source a tranny from a n/a 5 speed 300zx from 1984-89 and run a turbo clutch/flywheel to handle the power. peace.