Installing an accelerator cable

jboulukos

I understand the installation of the accelerator cable on the carburetor side however I am unfamiliar with the installation of the accelerator cable at the firewall.  

A few questions:

1. Does it attach from under the hood at the firewall?  I understand it unscrews however the inner cable seems to continue into the firewall.

2. I have looked at replacement cables.  Are the lengths of the cables different for automatic vs manual cars?

Thanks in advance for any input! 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

From my understanding, the throttle cables can stretch overtime.  Mine has a lot of slack in it.  How can I snug it up?  I've seen some videos of guys drilling holes in the end cylinder, snipping off some cable to shorten and then soldering the cable back to the end.  Any thoughts on how to snug it up or is this my only option?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't shorten the cable.  I found that if I shorten the cable then I will end up with a very high idle.

I couldn't get my idle down below 3000 rpm until I allowed the slackness under the carburetor.  I put all the slack back in and the idle returned to normal.  There was plenty of cable tension to high rev the engine to 4K and more.  (4K is my limit)

If the cable breaks then replace it otherwise leave it loose.  If you don't have a problem with the cable then don't fix it.  Looseness is necessary.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Nicholas7620 said:

Don't shorten the cable.  I found that if I shorten the cable then I will end up with a very high idle.

I couldn't get my idle down below 3000 rpm until I allowed the slackness under the carburetor.  I put all the slack back in and the idle returned to normal.  There was plenty of cable tension to high rev the engine to 4K and more.  (4K is my limit)

If the cable breaks then replace it otherwise leave it loose.  If you don't have a problem with the cable then don't fix it.  Looseness is necessary.

Thanks for this explanation!