Transmissions Replacement

Acardiel11

Good morning y'all!

Since I've had my truck the transmission has been making a loud whining noise is all gears except 4th (5speed 280z transmission. After doing some research I've coming to conclusion that it is the throw out gear. Hopefully...

I'm not familiar with transmission nor have I ever pulled one and so I went to the local transmission shop today and he quoted me $900 to remove and replace and that's not including additional parts needed. Yesterday I came across a guy selling a few transmission for our trucks. What do you guys think about it? Good price? I know I can find a transmission at the junk yard but I feel more comfortable with the transmission that's been gone through.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/5842797013.html

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as a 'throw-out gear'.

Did the guy wanting $900 to take it out, and put it back tell you this ?

If so, don't walk away,

RUN !

He's about to give you a lube job, and it's not going to be for the truck !

Did you check the oil level in your trans ?

• Like 3

No such thing as a 'throw-out gear'.

Did the guy wanting $900 to take it out, and put it back tell you this ?

If so, don't walk away,

RUN !

He's about to give you a lube job, and it's not going to be for the truck !

Did you check the oil level in your trans ?

Totally messed that up. I meant throw out bearing. Ran is exactly what I did. Haha I gave him the ole "let me figure out my shedule and give you a call back." I believe he was the owner of the shop. I guess that's what I get for going to the "best in the Santa Clarita Valley." I have not checked it yet. Definitely should do that.

• Like 1

The throwout bearing is about $20 part.. or less. It would take no longer than 3-4 hours book time to drop and install this. It can be done in about 2 hours.. or LESS.

The throwout bearing is not internal to the tranny. It's right behind the pressure plate. 

Now do those symptoms reflect a correct diagnosis? ... I'd be a little suspect. 

• Like 1

Can't be the throw out bearing it's only spinning under load when the engine is running and the clutch peddle is down. When driving or idling in neutral with the clutch up it is not being used at all.

$900 is a crook. I think that's his:  'I really don't want to do this job but if you are stupid enough to agree I might as well pay my mortgage' price.

$1200 for a zx transmission that has 'new gaskets and two seals' and spray painted silver? (worth about $15) is also robbery. It's also NOT a mongrel 5 speed unless he says how it was modified and the ratios. It might be a zx close ratio but that's about it. You can have one rebuilt for about $500-$600 in labor and parts.

Good morning y'all!

Since I've had my truck the transmission has been making a loud whining noise is all gears except 4th (5speed 280z transmission.

Noise in all gears but 4th is classic bad counter bearing. All (1, 2, 3, 5 and reverse) gears have power transmitted through the counter bearing. If bad it will growl in these gears. Fourth isn't a gear at all, it's a solid straight through connection from the clutch to the driveshaft that does not use the counter shaft. Counter bearings are under $20.

• Like 3