PL510 Timing problems

Zephyr

Well stated !!!  Yes you can block the engine w/o a  hoist.  Get the car up on jack stands,  Put your floor jack under the transmission bell housing and raise the whole thing about an inch,  now you can drop the front cross member (after you loosen the motor mounts) and the suspension,  If you disconnect the LCA from the strut and all will come out.  You can do a tough job easily now.  Just be sure that the jack stays UP, use an additional jack stand if you want.

Good luck, if you need good used crank gears, let me know I have a bucket of them.

Doc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Doctor 510 car is up, motor blocked, crossmember bolts all the way loose I'll see if I can get the pan out before I pull the crossmember all the way out. If you could help me out with a good crank gear that would be great thank you. I'm not a pro mechanic but I was pretty sure I was going in the direction needed.

• Like 1

It's an L20B???

L20B spindle..... 15040-21001 about $90 from Nissan

Worm gear........ 15043-21000 about $70 "   "

You are in Seattle... the center of L series country. Hell I have about 9 spindles maybe 4 from L and early Z series that will fit. Probably as many worm gears laying around. Post a want ad on ratsun, someone will have the same laying around down there. http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/4-engine/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Contact this guy.... http://community.ratsun.net/user/37-tdaaj/ .Ted or 'fucking ted' he sells parts and guarantee he will have this stuff. Or can find it.

Oil pump............. Get the external oil pump from a '87 and up D-21 truck with KA24E or later KA24DE engine from a wrecking yard. They are high output and fit exactly. Refuse to pay more than $20 bucks they are $100 new. Don't worry about chips in the oil... the filter will trap them but the pump will get ground up. Ted will have one of these too!

NOTE : The timing cover has a bushing in it that supports the top of the spindle. If the spindle was sloppy and moving up and down it may be damaged. You may be able to shim with washers so the spindle stays in place.or have to replace it. You'll know when you get it apart. Ted will have one of these too!

Ted probably has everything you need, so contact him and get the ball rolling now.

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend Got the 510 running first turn of the key runs pretty good didn't run it for long radiator was not in took it and the heater core to the radiator shop. The oil pump/distributor gear was in really bad shape definitly the problem. Dropped the oil pan and straightened it all out. looked like there was a lot of assembly lube in the bottom of the pan I thought it was water mixed with oil but with further inspection looked like the assembly lube is what I saw. No sparkles in pan so I feel a lot better about it. My next step is getting the cooling system put back together. I have found all the hoses I need except the upper bypass hose and the lower bypass hose I could not find a part number for them. I think I found the part numbers for the heater hoses (ones in the engine bay) but not 100% sure. also need to find part number for the heater tube on the opposite side as the valve in the heater core box mine is shot. Thanks for the help I would send pictures but can't figure it out if I do I will post pictures. Thanks to Doctor 510 who got me a gear