unknown electrical problem

globe471

i need help with this "unknown" electrical issue on my 1978 datsun 620 pickup

have replaced the alternator and fixed the fuse box that needed to be replaced. 

all the fuses are new and have been replaced.all my gauges work and the engine runs awesome and strong after theses changes.the issue is that i recently replaced the battery because the truck was dying on me so i would have to push start the truck every time or get jumped, in order to get back home from where ever i was. i got tired of having to re-charge the battery once a week. [/color][/background]

i figured that the battery was no good and it seemed that the alternator wasn't doing its job even after i just put a new one on.

after i bought a new battery the issue went away for about a month and as of today the same thing started happening again. 

my battery is dead. its new. (now i have to charge itthe alternator is new.

the alternator isn't charging my New battery? WHY? 

i have mechanical skills but when it gets to the wire harness and wires, its a different ball game also seems that this happens mostly at night when the lights are on. (perhaps the lights are plugged in directly to the battery which drains it)

it seems to drain the battery. but not sure why my alternator isn't doing its jobLast night i was driving home with the lights on and eventually my gauge lights turn so dim that i could not see my speed, my turn signals stop working and then like never before, my truck starts sputtering so bad that it almost was impossible to drive, like a miss fire. could the lack of voltage make my truck misfire or sputteri guess the main question is why isn't my alternator re charging my battery, its newany advice or thoughts[url=http://www.northwestnissans.com/board/threads/143902-Datsun-620-unkown-electrical-issue?p=1936562382#post1936562382]http://www.northwestnissans.com/board/threads/143902-Datsun-620-unkown-electrical-issue?p=1936562382#post1936562382[/url

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean and tighten the terminals and the posts. Now clean and tighten the other ends... The ground (negative) where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump, and the starter lug on the starter.

Does the charge lamp light when you turn the key ON (not start) ... If yes, does it go out once the engine is started???? If no is the alternator two wire plug in firmly? Is the ground (Black) wire bolted to the case?

If yes, take the alternator back where you got it or somewhere and have it tested.

• Like 1

check to all your question King Rat.

all tight

the light turns on by just the turn of the key, and stays on for a few seconds after vehicle is started and it beaps for a few seconds then it goes away. 

My next question after playing with my volt meter; Anyone have a diagram of the main wire harness? 

• Like 1

Is the re a regulator on the inner fender well? 

Is the regulator plugged in?

Is the alternator an IR (Internally Regulated) alternator?

If it is an IR alternator the regulator should not be plugged in and there should be jumered terminals in the harness plug that connects to the regulator.

Pictures would help  copy and paste the img code after uploading your pictures to an online picture hosting sight such as photobucket.

• Like 1

I would make sure that my alternator is plug in really good, check your connections.  Had a similar issue back in the days and it was lose connection on alternator and to top it off my new voltage regulator (autozone) was defective.  I would get your alternator checked out at Oreillys or autozone, if good, get your DVM out and measure voltage across battery.  Measure when at idle, and should be little above 12 volts and when you or someone presses the gas and idles higher voltage should be close to 13 volts.  In other words you should see your voltage go up a little when revving up engine.

• Like 1

Is the re a regulator on the inner fender well? 

Is the regulator plugged in?

Is the alternator an IR (Internally Regulated) alternator?

If it is an IR alternator the regulator should not be plugged in and there should be jumered terminals in the harness plug that connects to the regulator.

Pictures would help  copy and paste the img code after uploading your pictures to an online picture hosting sight such as photobucket.

78. Should be an IR set up from factory.

• Like 2

It does. All '78 and up Datsuns were internally regulated.

check to all your question King Rat.

all tight

Just to be clear, tight isn't enough. The contact areas have to be clean and corrosion free as well.

• Like 2

Maybe post a picture.

You should have a two wire plug in the shape of a T. One (largish) Black wire (to ground the alternator) and one (largish) White or White/Red stripe going to the insulated terminal of the alternator output.

• Like 1

im still not sure why it wouldnt charge my battery. 

everything is tight, corrosion free and new.

belts are tight but not to tight as should be.

connections are all tight

Again, even new parts can be bad. Quality isn't what it used to be.

there is an extra prong on my alternator that isn't being utilized? does something go there that isnt connected perhaps?

That extra spade on your alt is not needed and has nothing to do with your charging issue.

Grab the volt meter. Anything below 13.5V while running is bad.

My guess is you'll be around 11.5V when you check it.

No need to carry on until you check that.

• Like 1

i just tested my alternator with my battery charger with the alternator mode on the datsun, and and it read 0. no charge. 

i then quickly tried the same procedure on my brothers jeep and it said that alternator charge was complete and working. 

im taking it back to the auto parts since its  new

thanks for your time ill keep you updated on what happens next.

• Like 1