720 alternator swap?

BearForceOne

Hey all. I'm planning on adding some lights and eventually sound system to my '85 720. I have worries the factory 50 amp alternator won't be too happy running all that and the vehicle, what are my options for using different alternators with light modifications? I'm thinking a standard Chevy 350 alternator looks very close and could work, has anyone done swaps and have some input on what works and what doesn't? Thanks! 

27398428593_df082382e7_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Type alternator swap into the search.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69-90-amp-bolt-in-alternator-on-an-l-series-motor/

I have a 80/90 amp KA alternator in my 710 sedan and a 2002 100 amp Altima alternator in my goon. Pretty straight forward swap. The truck KAs have a Vee belt pulley which makes it easier.

• Like 1

Try an alternator/generator/motor repair shop. I use one here to do ALL of my alternators and starters. A lot of times there is a bolt in upgrade to the existing alternator so no wiring or mounting mods are required. And it's not as expensive as you'd think. The last one I had done was a 160 amp Toyota alternator and he only charged me $160 for the mod and a full rebuild.

Try an alternator/generator/motor repair shop. I use one here to do ALL of my alternators and starters. A lot of times there is a bolt in upgrade to the existing alternator so no wiring or mounting mods are required. And it's not as expensive as you'd think. The last one I had done was a 160 amp Toyota alternator and he only charged me $160 for the mod and a full rebuild.

See I'm thinking more of finding a junkyard alternator that tests good and doing the work myself for like $30 total

And yeah that pinstriping can not get off fast enough! I'm planning on doing an oxblood/off white color scheme soon

I've done this. Asked the 'yard' "what 90amp alternator do people never come in here for. (don't fail or wear out much) They said a Chrysler one from a K car. It was $25. Got one and 'converted' it to my 620. (wouldn't you know it.... it's regulated by the ECU externally) Scooped an old Dodge truck external regulator and it worked just fine.