1974 Truck Wiring - Where are these wires supposed to go? [Picture]

1974 Truck Wiring - Where are these wires supposed to go?

I know where the wires that are labeled go, (Starer Motor, Oil Pressure and the Alternator wires).

My questions has to do with the RED wire coming out of 1 and the WHITE wire coming out of 2

They both meet at 3 where the wire is exposed and twisted together and attached to a black wire going into the harness at 4

1974DatsunWiring.jpg

This is how it was wired when I bought it. It doesn't look right.

If it is right, couldn't I just attach the white wire (2), coming out of the gray plastic harness to the same terminal the red wire is attached to at what looks like a relay? (1)

I'm getting very close to firing up the engine and I'd like to confirm the red and white wires are correct by both of them being attached to the black wire going into the black wiring harness and if not... where should they go?

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The short Green wire is the fusible link from the battery (probably the Red wire) The other end should split and go to the fuse box (a Black wire) to the voltage regulator (a White wire) and also the alternator A terminal (the White/Red wire) in your picture.

That gray sheath with the Black and White wires looks like solid core house wiring and should not be there.

Question(s)

Has this been converted over to an Internal Regulated alternator????

Where does the Gray wire (with the Black and White wires inside) go to???

Might trying starting the car with only the red wire hooked up for now.

Picked up a new relay for (1) at NAPA

Mostly just don't want to burn any electrical system up.

Thanks for the links, needed the firing order too...

Mike

Theres a white wire coming from the volt reg in the diagram that ends up tying into the black wire to the fusible link, but I see no relay or anything.

Maybe the PO just bypassed the relay that someone else had installed.

If it were me Id hook it up, see if it works and pretty it up from there...

my 73 has nothing like that. at least not that i have seen. i think, and i could be wrong, it looks like someone maybe tried wiring in a trailer brake setup? my powerwagon ahd something similar with teh TB setup but much nicer in the install department.

The short Green wire is the fusible link from the battery (probably the Red wire) The other end should split and go to the fuse box (a Black wire) to the voltage regulator (a White wire) and also the alternator A terminal (the White/Red wire) in your picture.

This appears to have a alternator with a built in voltage regulator.

Just so I'm clear, the actual GREEN wire "IS" the fusible link, it's not just a normal peice of wire?

That gray sheath with the Black and White wires looks like solid core house wiring and should not be there.

You are correct. Good eye considering the picture. I followed it under the truck and back to the bed where I'm guessing they used the wires for the lights in some kind of truck canopy. I have disconected all of these wires as I don't plan on running a canopy on this truck.

Question(s)

Has this been converted over to an Internal Regulated alternator????

It appears to be this way stock? When was the first year for Datsun to switch to internal regulators? My 1978 had an internal regulator on the alternator.

Where does the Gray wire (with the Black and White wires inside) go to???

Goes along the frame rail and ends up inside the front part of the bed for what I'm guessing was lights for a canopy of some type.

Since removing all the non-factory wires that were for canopy lights, I'm left with the GREEN Fusible Link wire between what looks like to factory plastic clips.

One side goes into the wiring harness and the other side I'm guessing should be connected to the Positive side of the battery terminal?

Going to install the battery right now as I'm ready to put the key in it and see if the starter motor will turn the engine over and if the fuel pump will pump fuel.

The countdown begins...

:)

Yes the Green wire is the Nissan code for the 40 amp fusible link. The short length and plugs make it easy to replace.

'78 was the first year the IR alternator was used on the 620. The alternator will have a foil label and it will say IR on it besides the 12 volt and the rated amps.

One end of the fusible link goes to the + battery post, the other is connected to the alternator and voltage regulator (if equipped) or to just the IR alternator. (if equipped) The external regulator is a fist sizes rounder corner box on the passenger fender to the rear of the battery.

One end of the fusible link goes to the + battery post, the other is connected to the alternator and voltage regulator (if equipped) or to just the IR alternator. (if equipped)

Connected the free end to the positive side of the battery cable. The other end disappears into the factory wiring harness so I'll assume that's normal.

The external regulator is a fist sizes rounder corner box on the passenger fender to the rear of the battery.

Check. That's what I have and it's all plugged into the original harness so I'll assume that's okay.

Just started a new thread about troubleshooting why there's no spark and why the engine will only turn when the shifter is placed into Neutral.

:confused: