Removing torsion bar

kwoo510

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will still have to back off the lock nut and then loosen the torsion bar anchor bolt nut located at the rear of the bar. Just forward of this is a dust boot, slide it forward to expose a snap ring. Remove the snap ring and note position of the anchor arm so you can replace in the same position. Slide the torsion bar and the attached anchor arm to the rear to remove. I had to clamp a pair of vice grips along the bar and tap with a hammer to loosen it.

Edited by datzenmike
I've never removed a torsion bar before. I imagine I need to relief stress from the torision bar before lossening any bolts. How do you relief the stress from the torsion bar?

I had this same concern, I didnt want to lose my face beneath my truck, but as the others said jack up the truck and let the wheels hang loose, you will have no probs. Tension is only on that bar when the weight is on the wheels. And as mike said, you must remove the ring ro remove the bracket that holds the torsion bar.