Can't get 87 Hardbody z24i to run. Suggestions?

RacnJsn95

I was given an 87 Hardbody this week. Went over today to check it out, and if it hadn't been run into on the driver's side, it would actually be really nice! It's got the Z24i engine w/ electro-injection ;) I was thinking of jerking out the engine and trans with the electro-injection paraphernalia and putting it all in the 620!

Anyway, the truck has been sitting for 5 years, ran when parked. The old battery had been left connected, and the cable, and fusible link connector at the + was super corroded. I ended up having to just bypass the fusible links because the connection was so corroded that nothing was getting power at all, even the accessories in the cab. Once I did that, I had power. I poured some gas down the throttle body (unjection unit) for good measure. Cranked, and it fired, but quickly died as the fuel I had poured in got used... Would fire whenever I poured gas in the manifold, or sprayed ether, but not without...

So, I'm thinking either A) the fuel pump isn't getting power still, and I can never hear it run or turn on B) Fuel pump has taken a dive from sitting?

Is there an easy way to bypass the relays, etc for the fuel pump, and give it juice to see if it's not getting power from somewhere else and to see if the pump is good? Now that I type this, I remember in older Z cars if you pull the plug off the oil pressure sending unit, that the fuel pump would automatically run. I wonder if the same goes for this truck?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. electric pumps dont like sitting for long periods. i have to replace the ones in my rabbits since they have been sitting.thank god parts are readily available for them and people part em out all the time.

first off though i would check to see if the pump is getting power. then you could do what i have done in the past. hit the damn thing with a hammer LIGHTLY to help break the isht up. works really well on rabbit fuel pumps, but since i dont know where yours is, in tank or external that may not work.

I assume it's in the tank, but I'm not sure. I've never messed with one of these trucks with the z24i before... What kind of fuel pressure do these usually run with the throttle body injection? 15-20psi? If the pump ends up being bad, I'd like to get an inline pump for it, and just use my stock 620 tank.

Anyone know the easiest way to power the pump?

The in tank pumps on the D-21 put out over 30 lbs.

An old trick with electric pumps... be sure they have power and give the tank a good thump with a block of wood. It's a 'hail Mary' but I've seen it work. It will get you going, but you should drive to a NAPA an order a new pump as it can do it again.

You weren't lying when you said they were expensive!

The cheapest at NAPA is $174, highest being $334. Rock Auto has a Carter brand that's an inline pump for $134. P/N: P70304 Year range is 1896-1989 D21, and listed for other various Nissan cars... I wonder if that would work? Especially in the 620?

Getting a tow dolly, bringing the truck home tomorrow. When I get it home I'll try the block of wood trick, and se if we can't get the beast running.

Some 720s had the TBI too. There's a fuel pump relay that can cause problems. The pump runs only when cranking the motor, and when engine running, only if there is oil pressure and charge from the alternator. Nice safety feature. It's also rumored to have an impact sensor to shut fuel off in the event of a frontal impact.

Now IF the 720 relay is the same as the D-21, it's just above the pass side kick panel. Remove the tray below the glove box for easier access. If the plug to it has a White (ignition) wire and a White/Black stripe (to fuel pump), make a jumper wire with two male spade connectors on it and connect them at the plug. This will give power to the pump with the ignition on.

Well... I tried a couple things including making a jumper where the relay would be, and still got no action from the pump.

I pulled the tank out, and tried to power the pump manually to the battery, thinking maybe there was a broken wire somewhere, and still no action.

I guess what I need to know now, is will an ordinary inline pump work? I noticed there is 5 wires going to the pump, one being a ground... The pump output isn't controlled by the computer or anything weird like that is it? I'm also starting to wonder if maybe the computer has taken a dive? Is the fuel regulated at the throttle body?

I'm hoping I can just get an inline pump, and pump fuel out of a can to see if the engine is going to run before I go through the trouble of swapping everything into the 620... Any more suggestions?

Cool. So I can probably use the pumt from a 280z/zx without any problems... I may have one hanging around I can try out.

*EDIT* Turns out the 86 720 pickup uses the same pump as listed for a Z car... Can't go wrong there, eh? :)

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I'm sure your info has saved me a crap load of time, I'd be lost without this place!

Edited by RacnJsn95