Oil in spark plugs and wires on L series engine (L18)

Anyone else ever get oil in all the spark plugs and wires? Someone tried to tell me it could be a valve cover gasket? Which was confusing. Anyhow. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and how they remedied it on an L series. I changed my plug wires today And that's when I realized it. I forgot to take pictures at the time but I did take pictures of the plug wires a while ago, you can still see some oil. It was in all 4 plugs the two inside worse than the two outside. This is an L18 engine in my 521 if that matters.

20160317_211332_zpssx4wioyw.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone, getting ready to tear the valve cover off now. I'm going to my plugs and my gasket today, hopefully that wicked misfire goes away. I'll take nite pictures if the ignition system and stuff when I get down to it. I'm going to ask really stupid questions like what gap spark plug do you recommend for "insert ignition system here." Thanks again everyone..

DON'T over tighten them.

Use NGK plugs for perfect fit, not Champion.

Oil can only get in or on the wires from external leaks. Like valve cover gasket, fuel pump gasket, timing cover gasket.

I haven't tightened or messed with anything yet so no damage done there. I use ONLY NKG anyway so that's good. I will check the valve cover gasket, fuel pump gasket, timing cover gaskets for the issue. Thanks!

• Like 2