water from tailpipe for few minutes after first start of day

Bigbearden

I'm new to this sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I just purchased an 85 pickup 720. The previous owner replaced head n water pump.when I start it up first thing in the morning for about 5 mins I get white smoke n black water out the tailpipe.I'm not losing any water out of the radiator but after I flushed radiator after about a week the fluid looks rust colored. Any advice would be great as I love this little truck !!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All engines will do this and it's normal. Water vapor in the air warmed by the engine, condenses inside the cold exhaust pipes. The black is from over rich fuel mixture from the choke being on when the engine is cold. It helps it run better and shuts off in about 10 minutes or less.

Now if you have unexplained coolant loss then that would be a different matter.

Repeated cooling system flushes will rid the block of rusty sediment. You can do this yourself but I would wait until all risk of freezing is over. Get it all cleaned out and then run a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. It has rust inhibitors in it. What are you running now?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was concerned about all the water vapor (steam) coming out of the tail pipe until it warms up, because it is a lot more than my 1995 Subaru Legacy, or our 2010 POS Versa. Then I remembered that my 49 Plymouths were the same way. Analog Vehicle Warmup syndrome. It is perfectly normal.

It is a particular taste issue, for sure, but it is also a pattern on this forum: the second or third thing people want to do after discovering their barn find 720s is to hook up with some hot rims. Never mind the cracked windshield, the exploded seats, the engine with 190k miles on it or the fact that the bumper is hanging by a thread- how do these new alloy wheels look on there?!?  Well, the wheels look great, but....

it baffles me when I come across it, but then again, I am not 22 years old anymore...

People have a ghastly sense of taste in rims. Not only that but they buy them first.... and then come here to find out how to make them fit????? What does this say about how you will select a wife???

Buys $500 piece of shit car then puts in a $250 anti theft alarm ... talk about priorities. Alarm goes off and everyone on the street begins laughing at it.