620 Dash Cluster Instrument Lights LED Conversion

I've had it with my Glow Worm lights.  With oncoming cars, I can't read anything.  Hell, you better have good night vision to see anything....

But I digress...

I found the 521 thread, but that fellow was using push in bulbs which seems odd since I thought they were newer that the tradition bayonet my 620 has.

QUESTIONS:

• So, first, I believe they are BA9 base, right?
  • And second, has anyone done this, and are there any DO's and DON'T's for this project?
  • Also, I have one broken turn signal socket I butcher repair with some copper sheet - are these sockets available or do they have to be cannibalized from old wiring harnesses?

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh, never found the good links because most people replace tail lights w/LEDs and not dash lights - so I avoided the word LED in the search - the 521 post did that also.  Live and learn...

Looking at one of the good links, I discovered the turn signals are BA9 and others are push pins.  And that the push pin LEDs are too tall.  I would expect someone to come out with LEDs that fit the size spec for those push pins eventually.

EDIT:  Looks like its already happening: 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/74-led-bulb-3-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/228/  

Anyhow, here is my marvelously McGivered Get-er-Done turn signal socket:

dash_light_3.jpg
free picture hosting

• Like 1

This item?  not sure - looks like yours have 2 wires coming off them.  Mine (620) have only one wire, the ground is made on the cluster board - hence my copper strap.

The copper strap replaced the original strap that actually broke in two.

HaHa, many times I forget the utility of the ubiquitous plastic tie - definitely more applications, well maybe, than Bailing Wire.

• Like 1

bilzbo, you had a 620 harness, right?

Hummm.... mine is a 74 which is a bastard year - especially for electrical.

Yours are showing 2-wire connectors, was that for your 521 or from the 620?

The socket I'm dealing with is a turn signal bayonet which is different from the illumination wedges in the 620.

But looking closer, it looks like you had to attach a wire to the bulb OD (not the center) and where you did this, on my 620, there is a little silver tin strap that comes up the OD, around the socket end, down the socket exterior to the socket flange which presses against the cluster board where contact is made.

It's still possible what you have might work on my 620.  Does the 521 by any chance have 2 wire sockets for illumination and single wire for turn signals?

• 2 weeks later...