Wacko Jackos 720

Wacko Jacko

I am turning 16 in three months and I bought a 1986 720 king cab ST for when I can drive. The truck has a z24 in it and it's lowered on three inch blocks. I'm still learning how to fix and maintain the truck myself and I came across a problem. It fires up nice but when you take your foot completely off the gas the rpm's start to drop and it dies. The carb is fairly new and I just replaced the intake manifold gasket ( it was torn up). I has hoping somebody could help or give advice for working on my truck. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you set your choke? It could be in the wrong position to where it's closing as it warms up. Also put your air filter on and spray some starter fluid (or something of that sort) around areas that could have potential vacuum leaks, if the idles increases you've found the problem. Check if your throttle shafts have play, that's a big cause of vacuum leaks. There are bearings you can get to potentially help that, but it's better to just shelf the carb and start new at that point. Also make sure your fuel pump is fully operating. Take off the fuel line going to the carb and put it in a cup, turn the key so the pump comes on and see if it's flowing out pretty well. My truck was doing this exact same thing when my pump started going out. First it was hesitating while speeding up, then eventually it would only start for a few seconds after letting the float bowl fill. I have a facet pump recommended by Charlie, and it's been flawless. I went through 5 different shitty pumps from auto parts stores before going for the facet brand.

• Like 1