Anyone live in Oahu Hawaii? How's the Datsun scene?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring both. Sell the Golf here for way more than you will get there. Especially if TDI.

Kyushakai is on Oahu with his goon.

http://community.ratsun.net/user/5670-kyushakai/

Swedish and I are on Big Island. There are others on here. But rarely. Oahu is a classic import scene that Datsuns frequent. You may find a cruise that's all Datsun but I think it's mostly mixed.

• Like 2

I know, this all sucks haha. I may just bring my car anyway...I've spent so much time fixing that shit up, and then only to be able to drive it a couple of times a year would suck. I know it'll get rust but I'll just repaint it when I get back to California...get it painted/rust repair in LA for cheap. There has to be a crooked inspector in Hawaii somewhere. All my lights work, wipers, brakes, etc..how bad could it be?

I brought my 521 here, I had to raise it 6" just to get it on the boat. That is the least of it. I had no bumpers, and got pulled over twice in two weeks. If you have your shipping papers, not to bad. You have 30 days to register, that's not alot of time. First you have to get a saftey check, they may or may not tell you that you need to go to recon. If that happens, you will first need to get an alignment from a licsensed shop. IF you pass recon your all good. Get your registration, then saftey check. I do know of a shop, but its not cheap. I can tell you that Datsuns are around, you just don't see them.

I bought a 510 after moving here. It still needs alot of work, it cost me 4,000. The good news is, that when you do drive it, people either give a shaka, or make an offer. I always just say, "Not for sale." with a huge smile on my face. vI should have just kept it simple, and told you, it's a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

Yea I'm really on the fence about taking the 510 there. My biggest fear is having to ship it back to California. I def wouldn't sell it and ship it for sure but what a pain in the ass. I have bumpers, seat belts,

Here's what I need to get before I even think about taking it:

Windshield wipers/motor

Carpet kit

Maybe seat belts? I have harnesses right now

Raise it up (it's slammed atm)

My front side signals install and wired up

And I need a horn lol

That's about it...I was thinking of maybe putting back in the OEM stock gas tank and taking out my fuel cell as well. My friends friend lol...works at a dealership and is trying to see if the inspection guy that works there will just pass my car. Which would be a huge help.

So what happens after the 30 days if you don't have everything fixed? Also, I won't be registering my car in Hawaii, I'm in the military and will be keeping my California registration.

Lolo where do you live? Oahu?

I'd mothball the 510 and store it in Cali, sell the VW, and just buy some pos to drive while you're there.  Hawaii means big rust, and your 510 won't like that.  Unless you're planning on spending the rest of your days there, you'll have constant rust issues to worry about.  Why not just buy a hardbody with a frame while you're down there.  The whole thing can rust out and you can still perch on the frame and drive it! ;)

• 8 years later...
On 2/8/2016 at 6:57 AM, HRH said:

I'd mothball the 510 and store it in Cali, sell the VW, and just buy some pos to drive while you're there.  Hawaii means big rust, and your 510 won't like that.  Unless you're planning on spending the rest of your days there, you'll have constant rust issues to worry about.  Why not just buy a hardbody with a frame while you're down there.  The whole thing can rust out and you can still perch on the frame and drive it! 😉

all depends where you keep it