L20b starter

Guest 77ratsun

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. But first make sure it's the starter.

Are the battery terminals and cable ends clean and tight? This includes the ground cable where it bolts to the head just behind the fuel pump and the positive cable where it bolts to the starter solenoid.

What does the starter do? What does it not do? If it takes several clicks before it finally starts turning the engine the solenoid may be bad or the start signal from the ignition key may be weak from age and old wiring. In this case a new starter won't fix the problem but a $15 relay and some wire will.

Hot start relay...

headlightstartrelay.jpg

Post some pictures of you 620 and introduce yourself. Welcome to Ratsun.

• Like 1

My l20b starter is toast so I'm wondering if I can pop a different starter in it until I get an actual l20b starter

What do you mean by "pop a different starter in it until I get an actual l20b starter"?  Once you have a starter that works, you're done.  L20B starters aren't any different than any other L-series starter in function, with the exception of the 280ZX gear reduction starter and that'll work on the L20B anyway.  Sure, there were several variations and different part numbers but the changes were minimal.

What you aren't going to find is some 1990s or newer starter that "kind of" fits and would work in a pinch.  You need an L-series starter.

Now, if you plan on going to Autozone or Oreilleys (or any other chain for that matter) for a starter, be prepared to do the job a few times.  Those "Lifetime warranty" remanufactured starters are generally junk with high DOA rates and many that work initially fail within months.  Occasionally you'll find one that lasts.  You'd be better off always parking on a hill. 

• Like 1

240Z starters are different in the clocking of the solenoid, but that's the only difference.

X2 on the "lifetime warranty" junk. I don't buy aftermarket starters or alternators anymore. I have a local guy rebuild them for me. Generally he's done in a day, the price is not too high and he does quality work. He even knows a lot about upgrading for performance and longevity.

I'll never buy another starter or alternator again.

L series starters will fit the Z series engines but NOT the other way round... well it will fit, if you bend the dipstick tube ... then you can't get the solid stick in or out. I used a flexible dipstick from a chev or something and riveted it onto the Datsun handle.

The Maxima (and I assume the L28s) are longer and just fit behind the L4 engine mounts, close but they will fit. I have a Maxima GR starter on my 710