Radiator petcock/drain thread size/pitch?

heywier427

Anyone have a radiator out and can confirm the size of the radiator drain plug.

Want to run my electric fan coolant sensor there.

Just installed a new water pump/fan clutch, and holy hell did that sap some power!!! F that thing!

My old clutch must have been broken for the last 15 years, or I was given a heavy duty one by mistake.

Either way, gonna go electric.

This is the most common replacement part # that comes up. Dorman 61124, but I cant find specs on it.

Pretty much used on all nissans/jap cars, and tons of mericans.

It would be super sweet if it was the same size as the stock coolant temp sensor, cause then any universal fan sensor would go right in!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FAN-WIRING-INSTALL-KIT-COMPLETE-THERMOSTAT-50-AMP-RELAY-185-SBC-BBC-/140859700167?hash=item20cbe473c7:m:mnmo8_8IEVrsn3h0qYo0B_Q&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want the sensor as close to the inlet to the water pump as you can, or low on the rad. If on the thermostat housing it's going to come on before the rad has a chance to cool the water and will be on more than it needs to. I have one from an S13 and it was in the return hose. Just cut three inches of hose out and clamp in place. 

Thanks for the info.

The drain is located on the bottom right hand side if looking from the front of the truck.

Lower rad hose exits on the left. It will be fine.

I know i can cut and splice into the lower rad. hose, but I would rather not.

I was not inferring I was going to use the coolant temp sensor location, but merely that the thread of the stock coolant temp sensor, and the thread of many universal coolant switches, is the same.

So if some one had a block apart, and a rad. they could check.

Thanks.

I have a few 521 trucks, and a few different radiators.  They all do not use the same size plug.  Granted 521 trucks are older, and have a greater chance the radiator was swapped, but it is possible the radiator in your 720 is also not the stock one.

One of my radiators without a plug, I had to take to Superior Radiator, in Oregon City, Oregon, and they had a drawer of various radiator plugs, including one that fit my radiator.