Cleaned out the garage....found my old Z

S30Jay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess so! Ha ha

You've got a good eye, were you out here this year? What part of California do you live in?

ever summer growing up i lived at that lake.. i know it better then the back of my hand. i was up for two weeks! miss it everyday. i live in LA right now.. :( good for datsuns bad for living. lol

• Like 2

I took the Z in to work several times now which has made GOING to work something to look forward to..... At least the commute anyway haha.

I don't know what the offerings at the gas stations are in other parts of the country but around here you can pretty much choose up to 93 octane but it's 10 percent ethanol blended. A local station here recently started offering 91 octane ethanol free fuel so I filled up with that on the way home. I had less than 1/8 of a tank when I filled it....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

If it's available by you and you run a carburetor(s) try it. Seriously.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I figured I should update even though I have no fancy pictures, I've been driving my Z and have had no issues of any kind so far. I've clocked about 600 miles so I'm gaining confidence now.

Took a trip last Sunday to my friends house to drive our Z's for a few hours (didn't take one damn picture either) and learned a few things; lower rear gears are a good mod for these and I need to find some, and the door hinge bushings in the shifter make a world of difference.

Next time I'll take pictures.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I haven't really done much with the Z since the weather got cold here but I was messing with the exhaust last fall, and I have a bit more to do with it. To recap I started with the MSA 2.5" kit which seemed to flow well but it droned something awful at cruising speed. So I switched the muffler to a Walker 2.5" which quieted things down alot but hurt performance. So the latest thing I did was buy a Magnaflow muffler and install which sounds absolutely great (vintage Italian car howl) but still has that annoying drone. Also my pipes never really fit right so I started trimming and rewelding things to get a much tighter fit. That much is done but my next move is going to be to add a glasspack in the midpipe to hopefully cancel out the droning.

Pics in no particular order 

IMG_20161109_222436885_zpscfg6wim3.jpg

IMG_20161109_214308573_zpssbavw5ex.jpg

IMG_20161108_214559028_zpshuyopfab.jpg

IMG_20161109_215736442_zpsqltm2dn5.jpg

Bought these and a carpet kit too  :thumbup:

IMG_20160923_181856065_zpsoribbxi4.jpg

That's all I got.....

I was going to recommend a resonator, but it sounds like you are headed that way.

That being said, pay close attention to what glasspack you buy. Many have protrusions into the flow area and actually have worse cfm flow than standard "stock" mufflers.

See here for further discussion on the glasspack topic.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/exhaust/77717-glasspack-style-muffler-cfm-ratings-youd-surprised-must-read.html

• Like 1