Ghost in the electrical system

kf5qzs

This morning it was pretty chilly. I drove my truck to the store, left it running because I have no thermostat. When I hopped back in it, I plugged my inverter / phone charger in the cigarette plug and the entire truck died. Something blew in the electrical system.

No idiot lights on dash, no power to the ignition. When you turn the key, nothing happens. No sound from the fuel pump. Headlights & dash lights will come on. Hazard works as well as dome lights.

I'm pretty sure a major fuse or relay is blown, but have not the foggiest idea which one.

Please help!

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three fusible links on the 720. Headlamps are on one. Brake light, interior light, horn, clock, 4 ways etc are on another. The ignition is on it's own fusible link and I suspect it is blown.

There one Black and two Green fusible links, all are connected to the positive battery cable very close to the terminal by a large Black wire. Each link is about 4" long with plastic connectors at each end. You can't miss them. Generally there is a Green and a Black paired together and a somewhat separate Green one close by. The one to look at is the Green one paired with the Black. It may simply be a loose connection or it may obviously appear burnt or melted.

If blown, you can temporarily just replace with a jumper wire. Remember, this is actually a slow blow fuse that is there to protect all the wiring from it through the ignition switch and to the fuse box. As soon as possible replace with the proper fusible link. They are specially designed to 'blow' without catching fire. Ordinary wire may be too thick and carry too much current or when over heated will catch fire.  

• Like 3

That was it! After I got off work, I went to where it was stranded at and wiggled the wires near the fusible links. Everything started working. Drove it home, going to run to the parts store tomorrow and change em out. Any idea what they run price wise? Once again, a HUGE thank you!

• Like 1

Fusible link wire is pretty cheap. It comes in a small roll usually and you cut it to length and wire it in. Typical size recommendation is two gauge sizes smaller than the wire it's attached to. Should cost less than 10, possibly less than 5

• Like 3